Author Topic: Watt's new bass  (Read 22225 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Watt's new bass
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 09:40:49 PM »
Watt said he had to switch to short scale because his left hand hurt so much after gigs. At the time he said this, he also said he was still playing his long scale basses in the studio. That may have changed, I don't know.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 04:51:22 AM »
http://www.myspace.com/smashedexecutive - the first tune.i finally recorded something with the new pickup.its only a demo and the strings are dead but you get the idea.its recorded striaght into my sound card no eq mudbucker on 10 artec on around 7.if i get time i will try to do a recording that is the artec by itself.i have been at the computer doing a mix for a film these last few weeks so its high time i did some music in there.

How do you record and save audio directly into your sound card?  I'd love to try that.

BTW, I really like how your bass sounds there.  That's the kind of thump I like, but it's not mushy and indistinct!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008, 10:03:53 AM »
How do you record and save audio directly into your sound card?  I'd love to try that.

Buy an older Mac.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »
this is a pitbull with the cover off in my eb2[img][http://i236.photobucket/img].note the fender string spacing.i now have an artec blade humbucker with alnico magnets in the back of my eb4l and it sounds fantastic.i will take it out later and find the model number.

The Pitbull is two Rio Grande '51 P Bass pups stuffed into a chrome cover.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 11:13:41 AM »
Watt said he had to switch to short scale because his left hand hurt so much after gigs. At the time he said this, he also said he was still playing his long scale basses in the studio. That may have changed, I don't know.

Just spoke to Brian at Warmoth and sent an email to see if they could do a markerless, fretless (no lines either!), no peg head holes for a baritone neck for a Watt Mutt build. He said he is going to get back to me. It could be modified into a set neck, 30.5 inch scale neck by "a" builder. I also asked for any discounts they could give with them having promotional rights to helping with a "Mike Mutt' build to help with the stolen Stooges equipment.

I'll post an answer if and when he gets back top me.

I helped "Big Daddy" Don Garlits get a very rare historical engine (the actual engine that won the 1968 1/8 mile Bristol winternationals, a 430 Lincoln complete with the Hilborn fuel injection manifold) for his museum once. Maybe this idea Andrew had can work! What do you all think of donating parts or a small amount of money (pretty much counting on about every member)? As George said there are enough of us to do this!

I can donate a set of used but nice chrome "Shamrock" shaped Grover tuners (Kluson 538's are a bit hard to come by) for the build.

Or just shoot me!!!!
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »
I can donate a two-point "evertilt" bridge with funny saddles.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »
I've got an old Gibson bucker that I can get rewound for this, along with an old TBird pup.  The Barts from the Holy Crap bass are also available, if needed.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 11:58:18 AM »
I can donate a two-point "evertilt" bridge with funny saddles.

if we are going to do this, lets get some ideas of what is to be built.

i vote for a repop of his old mutt as close as possible. he had an EB given to him but it was not a mutt. it was a 65 eb3. it wouldn't have to be a hurry up job of any sort and might take awhile and might merit some thinking on how it should be made for example: there are no short scale mahogany necks being sold by Gibson (no surprise there!) but a rose wood neck might sound close and it would not require a finish. judging from the appearence of his "Mutt" i doubt if there was any finish left on the back of his neck at all aside of having a "few" years sweat and grime soaked in. a rosewood neck might do the trick as it would require no finish and the tonal characteristics should be close to Mahogany. Rosewood is an oily wood so it might even feel close to him. same with the bridge = a Schaller type that is still being made today.

finding out what kind of pups he had and then finding them might be the biggest hurdle as well as figuring out the wiring. i am reffering to a pic in this post:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=999.0

over all i think the mojo from a bunch of us with used parts (specific to the picture posted) we have or have used or a small donation or what ever a member can afford would mean a lot to him.

maybe i should post this as a new topic and get some opinions?
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »
i have an eb4l pickguard and a mij 3 point bridge and studs if thats any help .
Louder bass!.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
a tentative list might look like this (any knowns, corrections, additions or suggestions welcome)

One body mahogany early Gibby bass or repopped guitar body?

One neck mahogany Gibby short bass hopefully with truss rod. i have a quote from Warmoth on a Rosewood one with a fretless fretboard unmarked and unlined

One bone nut

One fret board rosewood 30.5 “ scale

One neck pup = ? Dimarzio g or model one, or a Gibby mudbucker?

One Armstrong mid pup ? Kent still makes blade musicman pups like his dad made. But the values are unknown to me. They might be known to him. Can he duplicate them or is a viable alternative available?

One Bartolini bridge pup, specs unknown at this time. Was this a Bart out of an LP? Pre-amped or not?

One Schaller bridge chrome

One set tuners = Kluson 538 are hard to find. Grover clover leaf i have a set i can donate = are Schallers better?

Fret wire = what type 6150 or ?

Hard wire = cloth covered type?

Control cover = used or new. Gibby makes replacements

Knobs = old Gibby hat types?

Pots = unknown what values to use = need suggestions

4-way switch and knob = i know where to get these and i know some members have one of the ones i either sold or gave them

One set strap locks = probably new

One PG eb3 type = these can be repopped

One 4-way switch plate = modify a 5 position with some paint = look like new and be set on a 30 degree break like the original switch plate to match the switch 30 degree throw.

One set of strings = unknown what type Mike uses

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 06:52:48 PM »
thanks for putting together that list, old puppy, it jogged my memory.  I have a nice bone nut that would be available.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2008, 04:59:28 AM »
Watt sent me these pics

right now I have the same kind of schaller bridge (3-d4) the little bass had (http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp135061/3-D4.htm) and the two stock picups and all electronics gone. right now I have just a bartolini mmc pickup (please scroll down at http://bartolini.net/information/bass/4st_bass_pu_s.htm) mounted pretty much exactly where a p-bass would have it's pickup if it was a 30 1/2" scale instead of 34" and that's going to 500k volume and tone pots w/a .047mfd capacitor for treble roll-off (it's passive for now). I replaced the output jack w/a new switchcraft one mounted to a les paul jack plate pound flat.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2008, 06:00:39 AM »
great to see that happening. i killed the "make a mutt" idea and made a post in there.

thanks for the pics.

nofi

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2008, 03:16:33 PM »
i would think the blue circle might be a salute to the germs. or not ???

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »
Please don't tell me that was the nice stock EB3 he was just given.  :sad:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird