Author Topic: Fendertory? What else can you call it?  (Read 2438 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Fendertory? What else can you call it?
« on: September 16, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Fendertory? What else can you call it?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:47:08 PM »
He sure knows how to lay it on thick. It's a refinned Victory with a modified generic aftermarket neck, but with a little prose (probably helped along by a lot of liquor) it's now a "custom shop" bass with the "effortless action" of a Fender neck.  :rolleyes:

Victory prices have risen lately but you can still find all-original examples for less than half of what he's asking. IMO this is a $200 bass at best.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »

Needs a bitchslappin'.............It's just awful   :puke:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:36:56 PM »
I don't see what's so awful about this. Unless you think a Fenderbird is awful too. It's an original idea and well executed.

The neck is not a generic aftermarket neck. I have never seen a Fender type neck with 24 frets. It doesn't look like they glued a triangular part with two extra fret on. So it looks custom to me.

That said, I wouldn't want it for that kind of money.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 04:29:01 AM »
ebay UK is always good for a larf
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 04:46:20 AM »
ebay UK is always good for a larf

Scuse me? That's a good ole US auction from Florida. Only turned up here cos the gentleman is prepared to ship to us for'ners, God bless him.  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:51:01 AM »
 I miss the Vic headstock, I must say, other than that it's a credible mod. But referring to a 51 P Bass style neck as "effortlessly playable"? I like those baseball bat necks for their fleshy feel, but they are scarcely "effortless". Effortless was/is more the type of neck a Vic has origininally, which is on the flat yet sturdy side of things.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:09:02 AM »
 Opps  sorry my mistake   :-[
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 06:40:23 AM »
Scuse me? That's a good ole US auction from Florida. Only turned up here cos the gentleman is prepared to ship to us for'ners, God bless him.  ;D

He's probably smart enough to figure that the action overseas will probably be his best bet.  My G&L got one inquiry out of Italy, and that was all.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:04:41 AM »
Victorcaster.or Televic   actually its a TV bass.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 08:20:51 AM »
I don't see what's so awful about this. Unless you think a Fenderbird is awful too. It's an original idea and well executed.

The neck is not a generic aftermarket neck. I have never seen a Fender type neck with 24 frets. It doesn't look like they glued a triangular part with two extra fret on. So it looks custom to me.

That said, I wouldn't want it for that kind of money.

It's no different in concept from a Fenderbird. What irks me is the description of it. Exaggeration is one thing, but calling a parts bass "custom shop" is a damned lie. It's intended to mislead.

If that's not an aftermarket neck, then IMHO it's from an Asian bass, not custom made.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 08:27:36 AM »
If that's not an aftermarket neck, then IMHO it's from an Asian bass, not custom made.
With 24 frets and the edge cut off just in the right angle to fit the neck pocket, plus the heel on the backside sanded to shape too? No way.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »
Would a custom maker use a piece of maple that's not straight grained and use typical Asian features like the angled string tree, the headstock truss rod access hole with a darker wood surround, the small tuners that were never used on a 51-style P? I think not. Over the years I've seen a number of 24 fret Asian basses with angled neck pockets like that (ESP, Yamaha etc.). Depending on the exact dimensions they could be used with little or no modification.

And even aside from that, who would spend hundreds on a custom neck to mate it with a Victory body? Doesn't make sense.