Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Tom Peterson's mystery 4-string

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pilgrim:

--- Quote from: Pekka on March 15, 2017, 03:05:44 AM ---Thanks for the answers, Aria or Westone or something out of Matsumoko could be the right answer.  He also occasionally used a Greco EB-8 eight string bass at that time.

--- End quote ---

Everything I have seen agrees with a Matsumoku origin. That one screams it. Nice look, too!

Alanko:
Vantage VS Series bass? They seem to come with a mix of hardware, including some with 3-point Gibson-style bridges. Not seen any with a switch below the controls, but it could be series/parallel for the pickup? Probably OEM Dimarzios onboard.

Alanko:
My absolute wildcard guess is a non-production Hondo Professional II model. The second image appears to show a bass with this headstock:

I once owned one of these in black. It was killer heavy and a bit of a diver, but sounded pretty nice. Hondo seem to have done Professional II guitars with that thru-neck appearance, and basses with a broadly similar control layout when they built instruments under license from SD Curlee. If Hondo were like Memphis, another Matsumoku brand, then the instruments aren't necessarily thru-neck even if they look it. That hippy sandwich look was pervasive! There is a gap in the catalogs I can find for any bass as lavishly appointed as some of the Professional II guitars. My total guess is that it was a prototype bass that incorporated some of the SD Curlee elements.

Pekka:
Thanks Alanko for your survey. Interesting points. BTW, do you happen to have any connection to Finland? "Alanko" is a finnish surname.

I also chanced upon this photo and Jimmy Bain's bass has some of those same features too. Phil Lynott is playing Jimmy's Yamaha BB1200 (?).

Alanko:

--- Quote from: Pekka on April 06, 2017, 12:32:12 PM ---Thanks Alanko for your survey. Interesting points. BTW, do you happen to have any connection to Finland? "Alanko" is a finnish surname.
--- End quote ---

No Finnish connection here. My name is Alan, and a Slovakian friend of mine called me 'Alanko' as a term of endearment. Adding 'ka' or 'ko' is apparently common, though Alan isn't a name over there. My girlfriend has kept this odd tradition alive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version