Author Topic: SX P/J Sunburst Mod  (Read 6388 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: SX P/J Sunburst Mod
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 05:02:07 PM »
Just an update on this Bass. The pickups have been modified and are now sounding a bit fatter with more mids although I am finding that it sounds best with the Jazz pup turned off or at least down. Its getting close to what I hear as that 70's classic rock P bass sound. I still need to organise to get a new bone nut done and I'm still debating with myself about weather to get a Gotoh 201 bridge (probably will   :rolleyes:). All the pots are now CTS and the wiring is waxed etc.  New scratch plate has the correct zinc screws now. She is coming along niicely.
Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
Current state of play:

Brierley pups have been modded and are sounding great.

I have changed to modern wiring because it sounds slightly sweeter to my ears.
Pups have had the level of magnetism (dont know the correct terminology) modified. The poles around the E and G strings have been given a higher dose than the A and D strings. This has made the bass sound very balanced across the strings. Another option was to use longer poles for the E and G poles but it very good atm so I'm gonna leave it.

@ Dave, I know what you mean about the movement in the bridge. the Gotoh is looking likely when I finally get the frets and nut done.
Soonish hopefully.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
For the true classic 60's sound, install Labella Deep Talkin' flats and you're home!  Looks pretty.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »
Cheers Al, I might try that. Its a great player, lovely neck, quite chunky (wellcompared to my Jazz at least) but comfy.
Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
Well, I finally managed to get this little project finished after trying a few different things and as usual the things that you stumble over are sometimes the best.

I really liked the sound of the Brierley pups and have to say they do have that genuine vintage tone about them however, I tend more towards a hotter sound and have opted for a second hand set of Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder split P's. In the bridge position I used an old SD Active J pup that I had lying around. The one with the 3 little rocker switches on it.

The mods ended up thus:

S/H MIJ Fender tuners & ferrules
Fender string tree
Fender nut
S/H Tort Pickguard
Gotoh 203 Bridge
Fender knobs
Gotoh 250kPots for Neck Vol and Tone
Dyna 100k minipot for the Bridge vol
Sprague Orange drop 200v cap
Switchcraft jack input

I had to extend the routing under the pickguard to accomodate a 9v battery for the Active J pup.

First time I've done a nut. I didnt file the string slots but got the bottom sanding to the right height.

The bass sounds great and has a large variety of sounds available to the player. It feels amazingly close to the genuine article in my estimation. I cant stop playing it atm. I was using it at practice last tuesday and a fellow musician that knew of but  didnt know personally popped his head in the room and commented that it was "a sweet bass sound". I've had one guy offer to buy it and another ask me to put one together for him. The whole project including the cost of the original bass ended up at $240

Digresion our specialty!