Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Is woody playing an Epi?

(1/5) > >>

Freuds_Cat:
In this vid I was surprised to see a close up of the headstock of Woodys EB-3 and noticed that the truss cover had Gibson on it. Then I looked over the clip a little more closely and is it just me or is that an Epi he is playing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-NP-LdLu3g&feature=related

hollowbody:
That's definitely an Epi.  Look at the long neck on it.  He played a lot of Epiphone basses live.  I've seen clips of him playing the reissue Rivoli and a non reverse Thinderbird. 

It goes to show that Woody could play the hell out of anything he put his hands on!

Freuds_Cat:
I made a compilation CD of Thorazine Shuffle to listen to in my car when I decided to learn the Mule version of the song and on a couple of the live takes you can hear Woody adjusting his playing (not the dials on the bass or amp) in the the first minute or so to compensate for the different basses he played. They all sounded fairly different but you could hear him enhance the good aspects of that sound and repress the sounds that were less pleasurable to the ear on each bass. For eg he made the T-bird sound more T-bird and less EB and visa versa.
Kinda playing to the bass rather than the song if that makes any sense.

Great player.

Dave W:
IIRC when Vintage Guitar magazine interviewed him, he said he had over 200 basses.

Freuds_Cat:
The Irony is that in the pics with him sitting in front of his collection there are no noticeable EB's or Thunderbirds which were the ones he most commonly played.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version