Author Topic: Runners  (Read 3705 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Runners
« on: December 18, 2016, 02:24:53 PM »
After a Sunday of cross country running legs pain I was wondering if any of you guys is addicted to running like me. I see many interests (planes, trains, Deep Purple and obviously bass related hobbies) from you but never spotted a runner among bass players.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Runners
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
I've picked up running last summer.
Having left the band I needed something to vent my energy. Plus I had been putting on some weight for the first time in my life. I have weighed 73 kilo since I was 18 years old, but somehow my metabolism had changed since a year or so. (I'm 48).
I'm running twice a week now. This morning I ran 10 kilometers.
And I'm almost back at the 73 kilograms. 2 more to go.

I can't say I 'm addicted. But I do like to feel in better shape again.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »
I had a runny nose last winter...

As for metabolism, Rob... welcome to middle-age... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »
No running for me - I've seen too many runners with all sorts of long term injuries so I've shied away from it - that and I live in a sub-tropical locale - heat stroke just ain't my thing.  I do go to the gym at least twice a week - my favored cardio self torture device is the elliptical as it burns a lot of calories and no impact for aging joints - I'm 54.  About four years ago I got an ugly report on my overall health from my company's "suggested" health screening, I got a several hundred dollar discount to do it, and I changed my evil ways.  I gave up gravy as a beverage, virtually all fast food, sodas and junk food - I started eating right and getting said exercise and dropped 86 pounds in about a year.  I'm 6'1" and went from 286 to 200 lbs. (90.7kg) or less and have managed to keep it off - for me it's has to be both diet and exercise. Of course the government chart says for my height I should weigh in at 175 - which I weighed when I got out of high school - I was so skinny strangers used to offer to buy me food!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »
My feet aren't great, so running is out. I can do an elliptical and should do it more often. I dropped 15 pounds this fall by eating less, and I'm keeping it off. Dropped one pants size.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 10:39:41 PM »
A stationary exercise bike and at least 1.5 miles of dog walking a day does it for me. No running.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 04:13:26 AM »
I've picked up running last summer.
Having left the band I needed something to vent my energy. Plus I had been putting on some weight for the first time in my life. I have weighed 73 kilo since I was 18 years old, but somehow my metabolism had changed since a year or so. (I'm 48).
I'm running twice a week now. This morning I ran 10 kilometers.
And I'm almost back at the 73 kilograms. 2 more to go.

I can't say I 'm addicted. But I do like to feel in better shape again.

That's great. Same age, same love for Gibson basses, both have a 20/20 (ok, mine is not fully original), and both runners. I wonder if we have anything else in common.
Frankly I am a little heavier than you (80 kg, 1.80 m height)

This is a link to a picture of the yesterday cross running. It was -2 degC in the middle of misty Pianura Padana, north Italy
http://gallery.podisti.it/p252426461/h41201a43#h412118eb
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:21:21 AM by tore00 »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 07:11:55 AM »
That's great. Same age, same love for Gibson basses, both have a 20/20 (ok, mine is not fully original), and both runners. I wonder if we have anything else in common.
Frankly I am a little heavier than you (80 kg, 1.80 m height)
Well, I am a graphic designer.
And besides bass guitars I love Mercedes oldtimers.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 11:22:24 AM »
I am an engineer, but I prefer to refer to my job as a project manager. I also like Mercedes, I have one and my wife another, but both are modern. My father in laws has an old Mercedes, I think it is a 1974, in perfect shape and efficiency.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »
I don't run unless someone's chasing me. 

My main exercise is pushing a grocery cart around Walmart at speed once every three weeks, usually on a Sunday at 7 AM when all the Jesusists are getting ready for church.  Missed it yesterday because the ATT guy was coming to fix my wifi.  Went today at 10AM, what a zoo!  Almost ran over three fat slobs debating how best to clog their arteries with their four favorite food groups: sugar, salt, fat, and preservatives.

I weigh 132 lbs, 66 kilos, same as weighed 40 years ago and I wear the same 29 inch waist skinny jeans.  When I move I do so quickly and there are no chairs in my house or shop.  I'm either on my feet or reclining (as I am now.)

Sitting, it's the new smoking.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »
I've been missing an ACL in one knee for 25 years, so no running for me.  I make up for it by biking and lifting weights.  And some of this ...

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »
I did run avidly for a while. I liked getting in the zone and achieving an almost meditative state while focusing on my form and breathing. Never used headphones. The trouble was, I'd run for too long after not running at all for a few days and the wear and tear started to get to me. The roads near me can go winding deep through the hilly woods and my favorite route was up around 20k which I liked to do almost every Sunday. When winter kicks in I hate the cold and the treadmill is very uninspiring. Now I just run to the fridge for another beer. When I start working out again I think I'll focus more on weight training and keep the running down to more manageable less injury inducing distances.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 03:40:49 PM »
I do not use headphones as well. And love the state of mind when you are too much worried to be alive after next step to think anything else. After that I reach that point the kilometers, or miles if you prefer, pass much faster. Typically after 6 km (4 miles) I just run with no other aim than survive.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:54:18 PM by tore00 »

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »
I'm in a busy suburban area - I'm not sure what causes more injuries to the runners.  Runners wearing earbuds running out in front of cars or morons blazing through stops signs and red lights hitting runners wearing earbuds.  Let us not forget morons texting on their cell phones, blazing though red lights and stop signs hitting runners wearing earbuds  ???  It getting dangerous just to drive to corner store milk let alone be anywhere near a road on foot.   :sad:

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 12:59:25 PM »
I am lucky since I live in a suburb of Milan very well shaped for running. I have a 5 km urban path reserved for runners and the beautiful Idroscalo park (6 km path)  at 2.5 km with pedestrial path to my house. Very often in Sunday morning I run there, make a round and come back. It makes 11 km, and sometimes I do 2 rounds (17 km)