Author Topic: Poor sweet baby.  (Read 11168 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Re: Poor sweet baby.
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2016, 04:54:16 AM »
Is it really worth all the money and labour?
Thunderbirds aren't that rare. I'd wait for a better project to come along.

It's never worth the money, that's for sure.  Nor is it worth the labour, assuming you're looking at labour expressed as time, even at minimum wage.  But it's worth it for the sense of accomplishment and the sheer empowerment of "I did that!".  I have restored from basket cases a Victory and a Ripper and neither will ever make a profit if sold, but that wasn't the point for me.  It was the enjoyment of bringing poor, abused instruments back to something approaching their former glory.

If I wasn't a little tight for cash right now I'd have considered taking this project on.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »
It's a rescue mission alright, but there is value in that too.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 12:13:06 PM »
Yeah, I think this would be a great project for somebody who relishes a challenge and enjoys the process.  And a terrible idea for anybody else :)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
Really not that much work.  Pretty much making and grafting on Honduras replacements for the cutoffs, filling the P route, 3 point replacement, and a refin.  Too bad those aren't the original Klusons, they're Gotoh clones.  The truss rod cover does look original, though!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 03:44:13 AM »
     Part of the fun is the challenge of putting it right, also this one is a bit of a blank slate. I have no qualms turning it into a  II.  I paid $ 800 for my unbroken 77, a exceptional deal even though I had to sort out the pickups. Not sure what I'd pay for this thing but it is fast approaching my threshold.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 04:26:06 AM »
Too bad those aren't the original Klusons, they're Gotoh clones.

Not necessarily a bad thing, if they're Res-o-lites. These help cure the neck dive!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 04:53:13 AM »
    Awe crap, I thought the tuners were originals,  there goes half the value of the thing. :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2016, 04:11:57 PM »
Ok. Who won it? You can lay tinfoil over the middle of the body and use an iron. Then get a spatulas and gently work the glue as it separates. Once you buy wood for the replacement wings, you can get a local wood mill to cut the v
Shape on the ends
Of yor wood.i would then cut out the shape of the wings, do your final sanding, rout the control cavity... Then comes the hard part. You need to taper both sides of both wings. Aaron, I think a local wood Mill can help you with this. Then glue.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2016, 04:29:17 PM »
Ok. Who won it? You can lay tinfoil over the middle of the body and use an iron. Then get a spatulas and gently work the glue as it separates. Once you buy wood for the replacement wings, you can get a local wood mill to cut the v
Shape on the ends
Of yor wood.i would then cut out the shape of the wings, do your final sanding, rout the control cavity... Then comes the hard part. You need to taper both sides of both wings. Aaron, I think a local wood Mill can help you with this. Then glue.

Thanks, Baz...I think I have it covered.  It's going to be a NOS clone of my '77, even the three point.  Method to be determined upon inspection.

I'm not going to remove the existing wings if I don't have to.  Main reason for that is the P route needs to be filled and no matter how it's done it won't be 'original'.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »
Thanks, Baz...I think I have it covered.  It's going to be a NOS clone of my '77, even the three point.  Method to be determined upon inspection.

I'm not going to remove the existing wings if I don't have to.  Main reason for that is the P route needs to be filled and no matter how it's done it won't be 'original'.
8) 8) 8)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2016, 08:29:16 PM »
If it's as described, you got it for a reasonable price.  :toast:

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »

Thin Veneer laminate over the top middle section!!

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 08:53:13 AM »

Could you post updates here?  Looking forward to this.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 08:56:06 AM »

That's what I was thinking...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »
Could you post updates here?  Looking forward to this.
P

I will be documenting "Bicentennial 'Bird, The Unbutchering" here and at Talk Bass  Full disclosure this is probably going to be an exercise in Commerce, not 'Art.

Maybe, I've done it before (over P and J routes).

IMO it's not necessary under a solid finish but there's no rush to make a decision at this point.

Meanwhile, I have one bicentennial pup.  Anyone have one to sell or a three hole cover?