Author Topic: Frightening new Gibson Basses  (Read 6614 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Frightening new Gibson Basses
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 12:16:19 PM »
When I visited Gibson Europe two weeks ago they told me Gibson is going to release three new models in 2018. The EB 2017 seems to be out of their focus already. Like they rather skip this one before it has even been in the stores.

I don't think there is much wrong with the design of the EB 2017. It is not exactly my cup of tea, but that is totally irrelevant.
The only thing that bothers me is the wavy finish of the body. Gibson seems to think pore filler is something of the past. But skipping the pore filler doesn't work that good with black or burst colors.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »
Come Uwe that's not true.  Looking like some Ibanez basses is not a put down; they have a great range in terms of both quality and aesthetics.  Give me an ATK or select Artcores any day.  I would include the Talmans as well but not so much fan of the P/J settup.  Personally feel that they should have used Dano style lipsticks in there like on the first issue of the 6 bangers back in the 90s.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »
Jake, I have no issues with Ibanez or Yamaha basses at all (I own more than a couple), on the contrary, I was trying to stress that outside of this forum of cultists for traditional American brands such as Fender, Rickenbacker and Gibson, a comparison to an Ibanez bass is nothing negative. "But they actually do" only referred to that, yes, the new Gibby model does look a bit ibanezish, but there is nothing terrible about that.

My first decent bass was an Ibanez Ric Ho, I was immensely proud to have it, should have hung on to it.

The ATK (I have one) is a nasty beast, but great for it. If a Stingray is the girl you want to marry, then the ATK is the neighborhood slut you keep thinking about.  :)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 03:39:21 PM »
I understood you - I am disagreeing with the 'outside this forum' bit.  Since Ibanez/Yamaha have such a wide product offering it depends on the bass or series.  Some are well regarded and others not so much.  Both make some particularly non-appealing-looking ones as well as some that are very well-loved.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 03:54:59 PM »
I'm going on a hunger strike until they start making proper MAHOGANY basses again...

And by hunger strike I mean not eating anything but steak and beer.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 01:20:41 AM »
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to pay our last respects to brother 66Atlas... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 05:02:06 AM »
I wonder why they don't make an ash Thunderbird studio kind of thing, or an ash SG'ish type of thing. pay homage to the time honored designs with a new twist.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »
Mahogany basses aren't just that popular anymore and in fact - 60ies excepted - never were. My pet theory is that finger bass playing is much more widespread than playing with a pick and a finger picked maho bass can be a bit harder to project just like a pick played maple, alder or ash bass can be a bit too much of a good thing.

As a pick player myself, I enjoy that I can play a Gibson maho bass with a pick as hard as I wish and not sound like Chris Squire or Geddy Lee (a finger player that sounds like apick player), with all due respect to both of them as fantastic bassists. I'm also quirky on bass and tend to be ahead of the beat, a Gibson maho bass mellows me down and is not as outrageously attack-happy, so I don't dominate as much. It's a thing I keep hearing: "Whether you play simple or complicated, fast or slow, loud or subdued, Uwe, you dominate." Not everybody is happy with that! Maho cushions me.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 05:26:52 PM »
I wonder why they don't make an ash Thunderbird studio kind of thing, or an ash SG'ish type of thing. pay homage to the time honored designs with a new twist.

They did make an SG Bass with a true sandwich body a few years back. Maple front, mahogany back. At least they were willing to try something different.

Mahogany basses aren't just that popular anymore and in fact - 60ies excepted - never were. My pet theory is that finger bass playing is much more widespread than playing with a pick and a finger picked maho bass can be a bit harder to project just like a pick played maple, alder or ash bass can be a bit too much of a good thing.

As a pick player myself, I enjoy that I can play a Gibson maho bass with a pick as hard as I wish and not sound like Chris Squire or Geddy Lee (a finger player that sounds like apick player), with all due respect to both of them as fantastic bassists. I'm also quirky on bass and tend to be ahead of the beat, a Gibson maho bass mellows me down and is not as outrageously attack-happy, so I don't dominate as much. It's a thing I keep hearing: "Whether you play simple or complicated, fast or slow, loud or subdued, Uwe, you dominate." Not everybody is happy with that! Maho cushions me.

You must not have noticed Ibanez in recent years. They use more mahogany than any other wood, both by itself and with maple top. They don't claim it's Honduras mahogany, but neither does Gibson in their USA line.

When I visited Gibson Europe two weeks ago they told me Gibson is going to release three new models in 2018. The EB 2017 seems to be out of their focus already. Like they rather skip this one before it has even been in the stores.

I don't think there is much wrong with the design of the EB 2017. It is not exactly my cup of tea, but that is totally irrelevant.
The only thing that bothers me is the wavy finish of the body. Gibson seems to think pore filler is something of the past. But skipping the pore filler doesn't work that good with black or burst colors.

It's good news that they are still committed to building basses. Now if they would only promote them like their guitars.

I agree with you about the lack of pore filler over ash. It's much more noticeable than on the faded mahogany models. But it does keep the cost down.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 06:18:55 PM »

Heretic!

I rather enjoy fingering my mahogany  ;D  To make matters worse I pluck just in front of the bridge with my thumb anchored on the bridge pickup.  Couple that with my tendency to drag and play behind the beat you'd never guess I listened too much to this guy.

Now if only I had his hair.... :-[
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:07:55 PM by 66Atlas »

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 06:26:21 PM »
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to pay our last respects to brother 66Atlas... :mrgreen:

That was good,  ;D

Light a candle for me once a year when I'm gone and use the flame to bake some maple.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 11:59:42 PM »

Referreing to a recent LBO thread, there is no reason why you can't!. Let's check ebay :)

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »
Heretic!

I rather enjoy fingering my mahogany  ;D  To make matters worse I pluck just in front of the bridge with my thumb anchored on the bridge pickup.  Couple that with my tendency to drag and play behind the beat you'd never guess I listened too much to this guy.

I still do and play finger style in almost the same position.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »
Except it's a long scale bass...
And the wrong brand...  :mrgreen:

veebass

• View Profile