Author Topic: Frightening new Gibson Basses  (Read 6612 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Frightening new Gibson Basses
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:49:18 AM »
So frightening the pictures might contaminate the entire outpost site. I do have a feeling however Uwe might find some justification.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Frightening new Gibson Basses
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:02:02 PM »
Obviously minority models.  :mrgreen:

Uwe has made relaxed comments about these before. Not entirely my cup of tea, but not horrible. Like the Victory picked up traditional Fender shapes and did something to them which you either hated or preferred (I was vocally in the 2nd group!), this is Gibson's take on a semi-modern-looking bass. I don't find anything particularly wrong with it, but it will not set the world on fire. They probably had the instruction not to design something too outlandish or off-putting for the average bassist (and that is not us here in our tastes). Not as good as the Victory look, but better than the anodyne Gibson IV/V shape of the 80ies or the outright weird EB-Mosrites from a couple of years ago (though sound- and hardware-wise these were probably essentially the same as the new types and remember that their sound and hardware was good).

With a two-octave neck, a deep cutaway and a long upper horn to apparently combat neck heaviness, that is the just the type of shape/look that will find applause in bass magazines. People happy with their Fender P will hardly be sought out as new converts nor those who think that a TB Non-Rev was the last well-designed bass.  ;) Won't get you thrown out immediately auditioning for a jazz rock or lounge combo. Try that with a Flying V or an Explorer bass. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'll buy one. With less reluctance than I have done with some other models, but not with bated breath.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:06:13 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 12:13:15 PM »
Everything above the nut is great.... below the nut is ghastly.  The best thing I can say is that we've seen worse.

Gibson should decide on a strategy and commit to it (changing it up year to year f***s things up; sometimes it takes more than a single financial year for something to show it's success). 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 01:18:29 PM »
I believe this is the third topic about the new EB model her on the Outpost. Gibson must be doing something right to get that much attention!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
... Yeah, I'll buy one...

A lefty...? ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »
I understand this bass may not be to the taste of all (many) Gibson bass lovers.
But I do find the references in other less educated places to this bass being a knock off of other makers designs very funny.
I can actually see plenty of Gibson tradition in this bass.
It is actually conceptually similar to the Double Cut/ Money Bass to me. 24 fret, small body, double buckers, VVT controls (a common layout in Gibson basses), large solid bridge (as opposed to a piece of bent metal).
The hardware and pickups have been used in Gibson models before and are now identifiable as "Gibson". The pickups bear a superficial resemblance to EBMM buckers or G&L buckers but hey, no one criticises that 90% of bass pickups look like 60 year old Fender designs. In fact much cork sniffing occurs around the subtle tonal difference that can be had through using various incarnations of these ancient designs.
The headstock is obviously pure Gibson.
Sure it has a long upper bout but Gibson did that years ago as well.
Some of the criticism of that aspect in other places seems to me be driven by disappointment that the critic may need to put away the neck dive demon that they trot out every time a Gibson bass discussion occurs. They would need to amend the standard form of words some seem to have saved on their computers for whenever a Gibson bass discussion comes to notice.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
Nothing is original anymore, least of all this.  It is not a rip off as a whole, but all it's individual elements are .  I suppose such re-synthesis is in itself sort of original, but it's not appealing to me, so I see it as a completely moot point.

I believe this is the third topic about the new EB model her on the Outpost. Gibson must be doing something right to get that much attention!

I stayed out of those , but I just feel like it today.  Your second statement does not follow; it would get attention no matter what they did and there IS such a thingt as bad publicity (contrary to the common proverb).  The thing they (maybe) did 'right' is actually release a bass this year. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:40:24 PM »
First Axl in AC/DC now this...

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 02:03:27 AM »
I can see it listed in online stores, but it's not even on the Gibson website yet?  Do they wait until it's physically sent to the shops before they acknowledge that it's part of the product range?

For my part, it's difficult to get excited about it - it's ... OK.  It just doesn't make me go "phwoaaar, must have one of those".  Wait and see - it took 2 iterations of the EB (2013-14) for me to get one (but that was aesthetics - boring colours and tort, ugh.  Gold and black - hell yeah!).  It's pretty keenly priced for a USA made bass, I suppose - but if I indulge at all it'll be when they turn up second hand or in a fire sale once Gibson do their usual and discontinue it within an attosecond of it being released because it didn't outsell Fender.  Again.  If I buy it new as soon as it's available I think it would be the same as setting fire to £400.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 05:59:32 AM »
It won't change the course of history. No Gibson bass ever has with perhaps the exception of the original EB-3 and its influence on Cream's and Free's sound (and the legions of bands these two influenced) as well as on the respective players' style, namely Bruce and Fraser. Both bands wouldn't have sounded the same had their bassist played with a classic Fender long scale sound. Just like Carol Kaye wouldn't have made those Beach Boys albums sound like they did with an EB-3.

The Gibson website is always hopelessly outdated/behind the times. And some models never even showed up there while there are at least three models - Continental V, (Gibson-built) Tobias "Guitar of the Month" Growler (set neck and not bolt-on like classic Tobias Growlers) and the 2015 V Bass - that were championed there that were never even built beyond the very first demonstration models/prototypes. Ironically, all three of them upmarket "leaving traditional Gibson bass mold"-items with Gibson ultimately chickening out to compete in the boutique range where the air gets thin.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 09:57:02 AM »
Aside from the headstock, they look more Ibanez than Gibby to me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 10:07:55 AM »
Ibanez was my thought also

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 10:28:04 AM »
None of the Gibson USA 2017 models are on Gibson's website yet.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 10:53:25 AM »
These are clearly not aimed at people who already like existing Gibson bass designs. Be realistic, why would they? It's not like they've ever sold a ton of any bass.

I think they look fine, they just don't look like a classic Gibson.  So what?  They're probably a really good value at $999 if that is indeed the price.  They'll sell a few, and probably give up and try another design in a year or two. So it goes.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »
In the real world - i.e. outside this forum  ;D - "looking like an Ibanez" is not a put-down. But they actually do, the BTB series comes to mind a little.

That said, Gibson would be celebrating Christmas 365 times a year if they had a fraction of the Ibanez bass sales.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:28:57 PM by uwe »