Author Topic: Eb0 copy  (Read 7677 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Eb0 copy
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 05:31:05 AM »
That picture above is just a photoshop mock-up.

But I'm making good progress with the build.
I won't soil this topic with tons of pictures.

But here's the latest pic:

Just bought two nice pieces of mahogany. And started sawing, routing, sanding etc.
The pickup that I'm using was originally a Seymour Duncan BassLines Quarter Pound that I scored off Ebay some years ago. But I had it rewound because it was dead.
I have yet to decide on the exact location of the pickup, but I'm leaning towards the position of a Music Man Sting Ray (as seen in the mock up).
I chose the single coil fifties P style because I want the bass to be a bit of a hybrid between a fifties Fender P and a fifties EB-0.

I'm building this bass for Greg Chaisson (ex Badlands).

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 07:12:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. If you are in need of a Eb0 pickguard, I could send you one for free. I don't need it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 07:23:14 AM »
That would certainly save me a lot of time!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »
Thanks for the info. If you are in need of a Eb0 pickguard, I could send you one for free. I don't need it.

I bet you could trade that for a Thunderbird hand rest...or a repro.  I could make that happen.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »
Carlo, my Eb0 pickguard is a repro, bought from Jeannies P-guards, at $23.00, a few years ago. They are still available on the bay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-EBO-BASS-PICKGUARD-1959-SOLID-BLACK-GLOSS-60-THICKNESS-/251579229697?hash=item3a934a6601:g:JHEAAOSw9NxTtySe So they are not comparable in any financial way to the T-bird hand rest.

Anyway, I just realized that you, Rob, need to have a pickguard that is suited for the placement of your pup. Which mine isn't, if you check the Ebay link. But it's yours for free if you want it. If I remember correctly, Jeannies can adapt the indentation so it suits your pup, at a few dollars more.

Otherwise, you Carlo, can have it for free. I don't have any use for it, as the body of my very own Eb0 copy is vaulted(?), and the pup placement is wrong, anyway. So instead I went for black soft plastic. Looks all right in my eyes. But one learns as the years go passing by...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »
Carlo, my Eb0 pickguard is a repro, bought from Jeannies P-guards, at $23.00, a few years ago. They are still available on the bay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-EBO-BASS-PICKGUARD-1959-SOLID-BLACK-GLOSS-60-THICKNESS-/251579229697?hash=item3a934a6601:g:JHEAAOSw9NxTtySe So they are not comparable in any financial way to the T-bird hand rest.

Anyway, I just realized that you, Rob, need to have a pickguard that is suited for the placement of your pup. Which mine isn't, if you check the Ebay link. But it's yours for free if you want it. If I remember correctly, Jeannies can adapt the indentation so it suits your pup, at a few dollars more.

Otherwise, you Carlo, can have it for free. I don't have any use for it, as the body of my very own Eb0 copy is vaulted(?), and the pup placement is wrong, anyway. So instead I went for black soft plastic. Looks all right in my eyes. But one learns as the years go passing by...

Thanks for the reply, Stjofön, I'll stick with the repro I made for mine.  Would have been a crime to cut up an original anyway!

Next time a TBird pup cover comes up on Ebay and you have an interest, I'd be happy to facilitate in any way.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »
Thanks Carlo. Give me a word if there's anything you want from the Northern Sweden!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
Thanks Carlo. Give me a word if there's anything you want from the Northern Sweden!

Will do!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »
That EB0 of yours, Carlo - is the only successuful adding of a fender pickup to a gibson bass I have ever seen! Always nice too see it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 05:26:42 AM »
That EB0 of yours, Carlo - is the only successuful adding of a fender pickup to a gibson bass I have ever seen! Always nice too see it.

Thanks, it seemed a good idea at the time!  Now, not so much.  I'm really looking forward to how Rob's turns out.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
Been working on the bass today. And one thing I can't decide upon is the tuners.
At first I had decided to use Gotoh Resolite closed gear tuners. The light weight would certainly help prevent the neck dive. Although I shouldn't worry about neck dive too much, because I'm making the body a little oversized and quite thick.

But then Greg (the guy that I'm building it for) asked me if I was going to use the Banjo tuners.
So I checked at the Kluson site and it appears that they have reissued them.

http://www.kluson.com/vintage-diecast.html

They certainly look the part

But shipping costs are ridiculous ($40.95)

What do you think? Go for the vintage touch? Or be pragmatic and buy the Gotohs?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
I'd use Resolites.  The banjos are only acceptable if it's a wall hanger IMO.  If the customer wants them just have him pay the difference in your total cost vs the Gotohs.

You don't set the shipping rates so why get upset about something you can't change?  Bottom line is all that  matters.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 02:19:36 PM »
If I were the buyer, I wouldn't consider using the banjos at all. But I'm not your customer.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 10:36:05 PM »
Are the recent bass banjo tuners that horrible? I'm working on a '58 Explorer bass project now, and had almost decided to use them..
Are they tough to tune up with, or is the problem that they do not stay in tune?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 10:45:21 PM »
Problem is, I don't know.
I can't imagine Kluson is making rubbish.
They look good in the pic on their site.

But the old ones have a bad reputation.  I don't know why exactly.