Author Topic: problem with LoZ pups  (Read 5305 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: problem with LoZ pups
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 06:31:39 AM »
NO I DON'T!

:P
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 09:36:14 AM »
Sanding off the squeezeout and other messy epoxy drips was easier than I thought.  Used a razor blade as well as a mini sanding drum on a Dremel with flex extension.

I had fit the brackets to specific pups last time so it was just a matter of epoxying those into place (had to clamp to keep them from moving around) and then filling the gaps with a second layer once that cured.

I found that after installing the brackets it was a very tight fit into the pup routes in the bass.  I had anticipated this - test fit them dry, and it seemed like it just might be OK, but the epoxy adds just that extra mm of thickness that makes it not quite work, so after all the epoxying was done and cured, I had to break out the Dremel again to take the edges off the bits of the brackets around the tabs; smooth and round things over so they wouldn’t catch on the route walls and chip paint off.  This was just enough and they fit in there nicely now.

So my baby’s back, and ears are gonna be in trouble (hey la, hey la, my baby’s back).  …. especially after I finish off the tall style dual use 4x12 project later this weekend (so stoked for that).  It really is amazing how much difference this made.  Not only does she look better, but she feels better and, somewhat counter-intuitively, sounds better - the top strings are no longer disproportionately louder due to the pickup being closer to them than the bottom strings…. never mind the G string being partially muted half the time before.  Don’t be a dink like me and put shit like this off.

Fin.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 04:24:54 PM »
Nice fix Jake