Author Topic: Bought a 65(?) EB-3  (Read 12302 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Bought a 65(?) EB-3
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »
60's psychedelic, now that's an idea! :mrgreen:
I was wondering what was in that hole on the neck, the repair was done years ago and the repairmen didn't match the stain very well. I'm wondering too how extensive the fiberglass area is, it looks like it goes on up into the lower headstock area

The picture appears to show it pretty well. Starts 3-4 inches below the headstock and extends all the way to the top of the headstock. That would have covered the original serial number, which would be stamped into the wood below the top of the headstock.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
The advantage is that it reinforces the neck (the argument could be easily made that it is overkill; it certainly isn't a common or standard thing to do though I have seen similar reinforcements, just not with fiberglass).  Disadvantage is that it doesn't look so great and, in this case, obscures the serial number (there really was no need to take the fiber all the way to the tip of the headstock; looks like the break was around the nut; they could have left the SN visible but were overzealous).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »
I suppose after all the work and repair, a serial number is a bit superfluous.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 08:35:28 PM »
I've seen fiberglass used before on neck repairs, not common yet not that rare either.

That could very well be the original color, and it looks more like cherry that has faded from UV exposure than walnut anyway. Possible that the clearcoat was removed by fine sanding to try to blend more with the repair; if the clearcoat was partially worn off from use, that might have made sense rather than a complete strip and refin. Hard to tell until you have it in hand. Dark areas may just be dirt. If it comes off with a good cleaning, who knows, maybe you'll opt against a refin.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 10:59:11 PM »
I've seen fiberglass used before on neck repairs, not common yet not that rare either.

That could very well be the original color, and it looks more like cherry that has faded from UV exposure than walnut anyway. Possible that the clearcoat was removed by fine sanding to try to blend more with the repair; if the clearcoat was partially worn off from use, that might have made sense rather than a complete strip and refin. Hard to tell until you have it in hand. Dark areas may just be dirt. If it comes off with a good cleaning, who knows, maybe you'll opt against a refin.

Well I guess we'll see, I should have it by the end of next week. The seller told me it was just a crack, I'm wondering now if it was a serious break for the repairmen to have used all that fiberglass.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 12:35:08 AM »
I'm wondering now if it was a serious break for the repairmen to have used all that fiberglass.

Maybe they were boat repairmen?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2016, 05:11:40 AM »
That's what I thought too! 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2016, 06:20:31 AM »
It's a bass with a name: Gilligan's Gibson!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 11:13:34 AM »
I doubt the fiberglass is hiding a more serious break. More likely it's just reinforcement to make sure a normal crack never comes undone.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2016, 04:31:46 PM »
I'll be picking it up tomorrow I'll let you all know what I find in a few days.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
OK got the bass, so far it sounds a lot better than my old slotted headstock bass. The owner had the serial number, it checks out to being made sometime in Kalamazoo in 1965. Now a question: Is there any way to increase the bottom in pos 3? It seems like there is a low cut going on somewhere in there. Years ago I either bypassed the choke or just unhooked it, can't remember which but I got rid of the bass shortly after and can't remember what effect if any it had on pos 3. On pos 3 it sounds good from the E which is an octave up from low E but seems to lose bottom below that E, is there anything I can do short of major surgery to fix that that anyone knows of?

I just found the old thread sound difference between 60's and 70's EB-3 basses and re-read it. I remember the EB-0 mod which is what i think I did 8 years ago (because I said I did!) and actually don't think this bass needs it because I have been getting a good sound in pos 3 playing with the bridge volume control to where it does have some good bottom. This bass sounds really good, much better than my slot head ever did. Maybe 30 year old strings have something to do with it? I ordered some Labella flat wounds for it. We'll see how those sound and play, I ordered the fat ones, .049 to .109.

Now I'm wondering what to do with the finish I am starting to like it the way it is but I don't think that big black dirt mark is ever going to come out so I might go down to the Guitar Factory and see what they can do after all. I don't want to change the sound of this bass though.

BTW I took the neck humbucker off and also the pick guard, whoever stripped this did a good job, I can't see any trace of the original clear or any other color, I think that this is the original color, whatever it is.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:44:53 AM by bobyoung »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2016, 12:36:55 AM »
Search this forum, lots of wiring threads here. I prefer normal toggle, but there are ways to get that 4 pos. sw. to work for you. The only EB3 with 4 pos. I´ve had (´67 - sold it last year) I spent a lot of time modifying. Yes, the choke can be ungrounded easily without mods, but if you like pos. 4 you can just ignore pos 3.

As for the finish, if you just clean up or have it refinished it will not alter the sound - although you can find other opinions on that subject if you google it.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 08:44:22 AM »
Last night after I posted that it sounded good I realized that the 4 position switch was in between 3 and 4 which seemed to bypass whatever was cutting the bottom and volume from it. Both pickups were full on and both volumes worked and it sounded great. Now I have to figure out what is going on in there. I'm hoping I can wire pos 3 so it's like that.
I'm going to try some Murphy's Oil Soap on that black mark and see what happens.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 09:48:05 AM »
"SG Lou" Moritz has done some pretty spectacular repairs and restorations.

He would be at the top of my list of people to consult on a project like this.

http://www.freewebs.com/stmoritzguitars/

https://www.facebook.com/lou.moritz/media_set?set=a.10200144837761069.201979.1154694970&type=3

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 10:14:27 AM »
Search this forum, lots of wiring threads here. I prefer normal toggle, but there are ways to get that 4 pos. sw. to work for you. The only EB3 with 4 pos. I´ve had (´67 - sold it last year) I spent a lot of time modifying. Yes, the choke can be ungrounded easily without mods, but if you like pos. 4 you can just ignore pos 3.

As for the finish, if you just clean up or have it refinished it will not alter the sound - although you can find other opinions on that subject if you google it.

OK I've just been studying the schematic, it looks like if I bypass (short out) the 0.2 cap in the neck pickup circuit I will get the big boom in pos 3, I might even unhook the inductor too and see how that sounds.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:29:59 AM by bobyoung »