Author Topic: Bought a 65(?) EB-3  (Read 12303 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: Bought a 65(?) EB-3
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 08:04:34 PM »
Look under the pickup or inside of the control cavity. The original finish is many times visible in these locations.............

I haven't got it yet, waiting for Uncle Sam to deposit my tax return.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 08:10:14 PM »

Can anyone here tell by looking if this has likely been stripped?

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 12:31:02 AM »
Like Dave said, there was no walnut until later. Even later thin neck/slim neck joint models from 1966 onward have mostly cherry finish althogh they are usually darker - but that is the darker mahogany used, and I think they changed something in the finishing procedure (can't remember exactly, but i think it was something with the grain filler that now got a washcoat before it was put on). Wasn't the walnut introduced by the time they got slotted headstocks?

Anyway yours is about '65 I guess - at least the wide controls put it before mid '65 but that bridge was introduced during '65. Looks stripped, a finish that faded/old i guess would be less smooth and more crackled. My '65 has original finish, it's somewhat orangey like yours but not 'dirty' around the worn spots. The dirty spots on yours looks (to me) like if they are on bare or stained wood, but who knows. Mine is sparkling red under the pickguard, so when you get it home you will see!

If the finish is just dull and unclean, just rince and buff it up. If it is indeed stripped, get it refinished. It's nothing good about an axe you can't clean, no matter how 'old' it looks..

Great find!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:40:16 AM by amptech »

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 06:10:21 AM »
Doesn't look like the original finish, in fact it almost looks likes it's just stripped to me and the dirt/oil from hands is collecting in the wood next to the mudbucker.  I'd refin and not feel bad.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 06:34:30 AM »
Doesn't look like the original finish, in fact it almost looks likes it's just stripped to me and the dirt/oil from hands is collecting in the wood next to the mudbucker.  I'd refin and not feel bad.

Yeah that's what I think too. Especially since the seller told me it was natural to begin with.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 06:49:55 AM »
There is a difference between mojo and gunk.

I'd have it refinished in cherry and then tastefully relic'ed. Like borderline Closet Classic, finish checking, deglossing, und so weiter.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:57:50 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 07:06:33 AM »
There is a difference between mojo and gunk.

I'd have it refinished in cherry and then tastefully relic'ed. Like borderline Closet Classic, finish checking, deglossing, und so weiter.

I like Cherry too but have been thinking about what it would look like with brand new shiny paint on it and don't like that idea and I also hate the whole relic concept so I'm not sure what to do. However Dave steered me toward a good place fairly close by so I'm going to go down there and talk to them and see what they have to say. I also have a line on an original truss rod cover and some screws so I am a purist at heart, haha!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:39:40 AM by bobyoung »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 07:07:40 AM »
if you are determined a 'mild' refin might be ok, but relicing is some phony bullshite i can't abide. it must be earned, not bought. :mrgreen:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 07:41:47 AM »
if you are determined a 'mild' refin might be ok, but relicing is some phony bullshite i can't abide. it must be earned, not bought. :mrgreen:

I don't like relicing either for the same reason but I think there is too much goo in the body for just a clear coat and it looks like hell now so I'll talk to the Guitar Garage and see what they have to say.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 08:14:27 AM »
Sorry, late to the party.  This looks like it was stripped of topcoat (clear) but the stain remains, and yeah it got a bit dirty.  The pic of the back of the neck/headstock with that weird square lighter portion is odd and I can't tell what that's about from the pic.

I say keep the fin but clean it up.  Get the gunk off with 0000 steel wool or superfine sanding and then use your preferred clearcoat.  Personally, I like that black streak above the mudbucker (just like I dig the sliver of new wood in the neck repair on mine).  Looks a bit like the streaked/faded finishes of Gibson SGs a few years ago.  In addition to mojo, it also serves as a handy unique identifier.  ;)

Mine (also a 65) came to me similarly stripped:

I finished with Tung oil, and have been very happy with the look and feel.  She looks her age in a good way.  This was taken a year or so after the work was done, it's a horrible pic:

And this is today (pro refret about 6 months ago; she is due for a cleaning and re-oiling):

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:22:33 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »
Thanks for the pix, Dave.  It appears the previous owner like to anchor his thumb on the neck pickup. It also looks like a layer of fiberglass was used to repair that headstock...or at least that's what the pattern visible on the back side of the neck and headstock suggests to me.

I agree, looks like stain is all that remains. I think i'd change my vote to a refin if you want to keep the bass. Not sure what you'll run into on that fiberglassed area.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 08:20:55 AM »
Oh yeah - I think you're right about the fiberglass; didn't see the texture on my monitor till I upped the contrast.

It can be sanded smother.  The colour diff indicates to me that it is an older repair and the rest got dirty but not the bit protected by the foberglass resin.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »
I  like that natural look - whether original o´(which I doubt) or not. I have an SG shape EB-6 just like that (certainly non-original as regards the fin as well).

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:40:33 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 10:18:42 AM »
Whatever you end up doing it's still a good looking instrument any which way.  If I were going to refin I'd pick something other than Cherry though.  Why not live it up and do something crazy like Inverness Green or Silver Mist, or better yet a straight up 60s psychedelic finish :o

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
Whatever you end up doing it's still a good looking instrument any which way.  If I were going to refin I'd pick something other than Cherry though.  Why not live it up and do something crazy like Inverness Green or Silver Mist, or better yet a straight up 60s psychedelic finish :o

60's psychedelic, now that's an idea! :mrgreen:
I was wondering what was in that hole on the neck, the repair was done years ago and the repairmen didn't match the stain very well. I'm wondering too how extensive the fiberglass area is, it looks like it goes on up into the lower headstock area

Another question: Is or was fiberglass a common way to repair breaks? What were or are the advantages and disadvantages of using fiberglass to repair a headstock crack like that?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:56:12 AM by bobyoung »