Author Topic: Garry Shandling  (Read 1266 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Garry Shandling
« on: April 21, 2016, 06:03:20 PM »
We didn't discuss Garry Shandling's sudden passing last month. Two months earlier, he had appeared on Jerry Seinfeld's online show in an episode called It's Great That Garry Shandling Is Still Alive. Their talk about death (after about the 10 minute mark) was chilling in light of what happened, and so was his remark at the very end.

After Prince's death today, I went back and watched it again. Especially the part where they were discussing Robin Williams' death and Garry noted that "63 is so young" is something you never hear in any other connection than death.

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Garry Shandling
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 10:50:58 AM »
I thought Gary Shandling was very funny and talented.  If his death didn't receive the attention it deserved, it may be because of all the other deaths going on.  I don't know.  I also noticed the death of Anne Francis didn't receive much attention in the media for some reason.  Of course that was five years ago, but it certainly doesn't seem that long to me at all.  As for Gary Shandling, I saw "What Planet Are You From" not long ago.  A quirky sci-fi comedy.  I think Gary was best known for "It's Gary Shandling's Show," but I never got the chance to watch that as much as I wanted to. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »
IMHO It's Garry Shandling's Show was the funniest thing on TV in its time.

He made me a fan from the first time I saw him, which was his first appearance on Carson.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 11:38:12 AM »
I don't remember the details of why I never got to watch his show much, but I never did.  I mostly saw him when he would be a guest on other shows.  His neurotic style of comedy was always funny. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 03:15:02 PM »
What was that Mark Twain quote...? :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 08:21:45 PM »
The report of my death was exaggerated.   :P
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 03:17:30 PM »
 :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...