Author Topic: Thunderbird short scale  (Read 11211 times)

Pete-C

• View Profile
Thunderbird short scale
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:48:09 AM »
Hi new member here ,great site/ forum I've learned a lot just trawling round posts here in a few days:)
I realised after 30+ years of playing I never owned a gibson bass .
I bought a short scale thunderbird and like a lot of things about it but I'm now hankering after a long scale so will have to sell it to get one . Anybody know if there's a going ball park price for them as I can't seem to see any ads for them.
Any info appreciated thanks
Pete

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird short scale
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »
Pete, Pete, Pete... just like those school reports... could do better if he tried harder...

Gibson T'birds for sale, right now, on greedbay :mrgreen:

Welcome, btw...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »
Wait, am I missing something - Gibson never made a shortie TBird?
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pete-C

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
Pete, Pete, Pete... just like those school reports... could do better if he tried harder...

Gibson T'birds for sale, right now, on greedbay :mrgreen:

Welcome, btw...

Thanks, i'm aware of how to look for a thunderbird on ebay ...mine is the short scale,satin finish version though  8)
Just to be clear as i re-read my post and its could be taken either way,It's the price of mine i'm after determining to sell it.
I forgot to add i'm in uk....and all my school reports are jolly top-ho old bean!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:04:09 PM by Pete-C »

Pete-C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
Wait, am I missing something - Gibson never made a shortie TBird?

Here's what you've been missing Granny  ??? (never thought i'd be saying that when i posted!)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
Jake... a few years back now... Here's a link to one comment...

Ah... Pete... Scotland, ma' self... :D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 04:06:47 PM »
Hi new member here ,great site/ forum I've learned a lot just trawling round posts here in a few days:)
I realised after 30+ years of playing I never owned a gibson bass .
I bought a short scale thunderbird and like a lot of things about it but I'm now hankering after a long scale so will have to sell it to get one . Anybody know if there's a going ball park price for them as I can't seem to see any ads for them.
Any info appreciated thanks
Pete

Welcome here!

Hi Pete,

You may not be seeing much for new stock as Gibson has ceased production - Although some retailers likely have some N.O.S. around.
Used on Ebay you'll see Post 1988 'Birds between 800.00 and maybe 1200.00 for a good White one. White usually fetches a bit more as they disco'd the color a few years back. Older than that they get spendy - if you see one listed you can always post it here and get excellent advice.

I'm the least "normal" person here  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 04:23:37 PM »
Ah... Pete... Scotland, ma' self... :D

Deep in conversation the other week, between myself, a bloke from Mallaig and my buddy from Ullapool. The general consensus was that because I grew up near Stirling I was considered too posh to be truely 'West Coast', but insufficiently posh for true Edinburgh folk to ever take me seriously. I'm too backward and parochial for Edinbuggers but too aloof and pretentious for Weegies. Big bummer.

Hoots man. Or something.

If Gibson brought out a shortscale T-bird in some fun, fully gloss '60s Dupont finishes and full chrome hardware then they would fly off the shelves. That sort of shit is on-trend right now, and Eyguitars prove that you can make cheap chrome T-bird pickups with relative ease. Having said all that, I feel you would get about as much luck asking fish to walk on land.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »
Pete, welcome. In looking at the Sold listings on eBay, there is a shorty that sold recently for $1300 US. That's more than a typical post-'88 used long scale would fetch, so I wouldn't count on getting that much for yours, but you never know.

Mark, didn't you get one of the short scales for Uwe?

Short scale T-Bird spec page is still up on Gibson's website

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »
Here's what you've been missing Granny  ??? (never thought i'd be saying that when i posted!)

OOoooh. ... though if they made it set neck, why the fudge couldn't it be NR (I know the answer, but still).

Good thing you're so darn far away.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pete-C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 10:46:19 PM »
Thanks a lot all for the welcomes and info , think i'll ask £650 for it see how it goes .

I love the satin finish and the warmth from this and it doesn't seem or look a small bass ,i'd say its the same length as my opb 54 type p bass.
I saw someone review this model here (i think it was UWE )and they were spot on with the description ,you can get EB type sounds with the bass pick up being further forward....also great low fundamentals ,though you lose some of the upper harmonic overtones (as with most short scale basses i think?)

I have a couple more t'bird questions as i'm relatively new to gibson basses ,
How are the models with ebony boards ,do they sound much different ? Any issues with shrinkage around frets/fret ends?
Oh and Did they ever make a fretless unlined version?

Thanks all  :)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:54:49 PM by Pete-C »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 08:27:35 AM »
I've heard of fretless versions but never seen an example... as (afaik) they are special order, and seeing other Gibson fretless options, not seen any lined versions, so...
Saw a post on one of the FB pages where one was converted and left lined... asked for a soundbite but not got a response...
My only fretless Gibson is an RD Artist, converted for me by Peter Cook...
I am keeping watches for Epi Pro's as I want to convert one of those to fretless (budget reasons only)...
I don't own a Gibson Thunderbird... the one I have was a custom build...

... and my buddy from Ullapool...

Ah yes, a short hop away from here... :mrgreen:

Pete-C

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Highlander,bet that rd conversion sounds sweet.
I played a nos red t'bird full scale the other day ,liked it ,nice weight and i didnt find it cumbersome/neck diver as some say,but wasnt keen on the finish so i might try and find a satin finished one when i sell this. Thanks again

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »
Never seen a "satin" 'Bird... anyone else...?

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 04:54:55 PM »
Never seen a "satin" 'Bird... anyone else...?

The Blackbird is satin black as well. So was the Gothic Thunderbird I think??

Welcome aboard Pete!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT