Author Topic: Just watched the ACM awards  (Read 6906 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Just watched the ACM awards
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 08:08:10 AM »
Frat boy rock sung by guys with phony accents.

Sums it up pretty well. And thanks PBG for the editorial. Seriously, that was a good read.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 11:09:46 AM »
psycho bass guy, pics or you don't exist.

Someday... no pics of my amps either, but they're real too. Still picking up some other pieces. Pics of all when that's finished. I need a little enigma mystique anyway.

My avatar is me back in the band days playing at a local biker bar. The John Deere cap is the same one I've had since I was five and the Nashville Pussy shirt came from their show a few months earlier. A guy got killed there the day before that show.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »
Actually, there are some fun country tunes that I really like and which are pretty much Nashville formula. Cuts like "Chattahoochee" and "Beer for My Horses."  I rather like Toby Keith's stuff, including "How Do You Like Me Now" and "As Good As I Once Was."

I just have less patience with some of the older style tunes that I spun when breaking into the DJ biz.

Dave and I have agreed to differ on country music in the past, and I appreciate his thoughtful responses.

And PBG: thanks for the autobio note!  It's an interesting chapter in your life.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »
If you like to poke fun at modern "country", here a couple of Twitter accounts to follow

@DrunkenMartina (the real Martina McBride is a big fan)

Example #1

Example #2

@Reginald Spears (brainchild of the writer of the Farce The Music blog)

Example #1

Example #2

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 03:38:45 AM »
I didn't catch it. Did this guy win anything? He's one of those rocking country guys of which you speak. Is it or me, or doesn't this bass intro sound like some kind of Gibson being picked?

To further complicate matters here is Eric Church with Lzzy Hale of Halestorm. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 06:17:35 AM »
I'm thinking besides the fact it was his birthday, Merle held on a little longer so his loved ones wouldn't have to suffer through any hastily produced video retrospective of his life on the ACM awards. May he rest in peace.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 06:41:30 AM »
Well, I agree that country is evolving, although some folks don't see it that way.  Evolution of music is in the ear of the beholder!  It seems it happens to all music forms eventually.  I don't listen to any new rock as it just leaves me empty.  I actually became a serious country fan about 10 years ago (grew up with it through high school, but the British invasion turned me around), but I'm already missing the old style stuff.

I watched a few minutes of the ACM and wasn't able to maintain my interest.  The low point for me was Kenny Chesney's performance of his new song.  It had a barely discernible melody, he struggled through the entire song like it was below his range and when it did move up the scale he was flat as a pancake.  Very disappointing performance.

Long live classes rock.   8)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 07:08:15 AM »
I'm thinking besides the fact it was his birthday, Merle held on a little longer so his loved ones wouldn't have to suffer through any hastily produced video retrospective of his life on the ACM awards. May he rest in peace.

He probably did somehow hang on until his birthday. And mercifully that did prevent any retrospective by people who probably know very little of his life and career.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
He probably did somehow hang on until his birthday. And mercifully that did prevent any retrospective by people who probably know very little of his life and career.

Good points, Dave.  I can just guess who's in charge of the ACM awards production.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 08:56:50 AM »
The low point for me was Kenny Chesney's performance of his new song.  It had a barely discernible melody, he struggled through the entire song like it was below his range and when it did move up the scale he was flat as a pancake.  Very disappointing performance.

Long live classes rock.   8)

Agreed. Chesney couldn't even find the notes.

Although some of our classes at CSU do indeed rock, I like classic rock too!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
Kenny Chesney is from Luttrell and used to play Morristown, where I'm from, almost every week. He sucked then too, but for some reason women fawn over that Kermit-looking warbler. Such is life.

On another, more melancholy note, my old band also covered "Mama Tried" and worked on "Swinging Doors" before the old rhythm guitarist vetoed it. I think Merle would like this cover and I'll see about finding some of my band's old ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82sRYzb4gw8&nohtml5=False

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 10:38:37 AM »
Kenny Chesney is from Luttrell and used to play Morristown, where I'm from, almost every week. He sucked then too, but for some reason women fawn over that Kermit-looking warbler. Such is life.

On another, more melancholy note, my old band also covered "Mama Tried" and worked on "Swinging Doors" before the old rhythm guitarist vetoed it. I think Merle would like this cover and I'll see about finding some of my band's old ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82sRYzb4gw8&nohtml5=False

A lot better than Kenny on ACM!  I liked it.  I have to say, when it comes to modern roll, I'm liking the alternative stuff better than the mainstream fair.  Although I'm still a DMB fan, you can't find him on the radio any more around here.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 05:17:01 PM »
I never watch awards shows anyway, so I missed Nick Jonas' guitar solo which is being ridiculed on guitar forums.

Fretless

• Stuck in the middle of the Corn Ghetto!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 07:01:18 PM »
I never watch awards shows anyway, so I missed Nick Jonas' guitar solo which is being ridiculed on guitar forums.

You didn't miss much! :puke:
I could'a been a visionary...a hundred years ago!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 08:43:03 PM »
Here's a palate cleanser ...of sorts  :-X

https://soundcloud.com/user-379617589/folsom-2016