Author Topic: Ibanez is making a Les Paul bass  (Read 5481 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Ibanez is making a Les Paul bass
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 06:02:24 AM »
In my opinion it looks more like they were made from old wooden crates or whisky barrels, tha a 'normal' relic.

Yeah, it is a bit late to the reclaimed wood look, but I like it (sooooo many stores in my neighborhood put legs on an old barn door and sell it as a multi-thousand dollar harvest table.   A 'normal' relic job just doesn't do anything for me, but truth be told I'm not one for a shiny spotless laquer job either.  I suppose it would be nice to have a few less gouges in the top, but I still dig it.  The stain job looks well done.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 07:40:51 AM »
Great looking bass. I can't for the life of me, however, understand why many manufacturers who build hollow and semi-hollow basses don't make them in a long-scale version.

I agree.  Mine are long scale.   ;D
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 08:50:26 AM »
Another note about long-scale hollows - many of them do have a neck dive problem. I know that my 32" scale Gretsch 5123 is a bit of a diver, and i went to an extra-long suede strap to fight that.  IIRC, my Casady was a diver.

Due to the fondness that Bill and I have for short scale basses, I don't always perceive this as a problem.  My new Psycho Cabbie is a shorty (and that's my 5123 behind it...)

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 06:59:16 PM »
Another note about long-scale hollows - many of them do have a neck dive problem. I know that my 32" scale Gretsch 5123 is a bit of a diver, and i went to an extra-long suede strap to fight that.  IIRC, my Casady was a diver.

Due to the fondness that Bill and I have for short scale basses, I don't always perceive this as a problem.  My new Psycho Cabbie is a shorty (and that's my 5123 behind it...)

Yep, a long neck on a hollow body is a typical diver.  That's why I placed my bridge low on the body to bring the neck into the body farther.  It really helps.  The long upper horn also aids the situation.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 04:06:40 AM »
That is why Rickenbacker, for the long-scale hollow body 4005, modified the 360 body shape with an extended upper horn, so that the strap button is over the 13th fret. It looks like a catcher's mitt, not very elegant, but 4005s don't dive.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 05:06:39 AM »
Yep, another reason my semi-clone 4005 works.