Author Topic: The Badbird II has landed!  (Read 5671 times)

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
Re: The Badbird II has landed!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »
Looks great man!

That looks fantastic!

I'm really glad you decided to incorporate the center post into the design.

I think it's a winner.

8)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:51:19 AM by BeeTL »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »
   Thanks Brad! I was hesitant on the third post but in the end I had to fit the foot print and fill that damn third hole some how ;) I am really happy with it :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »
Yeah, I get that.

I think it works well aesthetically and achieves your goals functionally, too. 

8)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »

This lovely showed up at my work today  :)

It'll go on my Greco Thunderbird II

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »
Did I miss something - where/how does one order these?  I'm not in any dire need, but I looked around the facebook page when this thread started and nothing jumped out at me.  If it is/was still in preprod then nevermind, just wanted to let you know it's not very visible.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 03:20:10 PM »
Did I miss something - where/how does one order these?  I'm not in any dire need, but I looked around the facebook page when this thread started and nothing jumped out at me.  If it is/was still in preprod then nevermind, just wanted to let you know it's not very visible.

I was going to ask the same thing :)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 05:57:16 PM »
Scott is godofthunder59 on eBay, no Badbird II up yet but i imagine he'll list them soon.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 02:18:05 AM »
     Or just pm me here. ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »

It's Nickel Plated SEX!

Here it is on my Greco.  I'll have more about it soon  ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 05:20:58 PM »

Here's a short review that I posted regarding Scott's bridge on TB, it's in the Hardware and setup forum.

For you LBO guys.....
 I have to say this is a really cool bridge, I'm a total noob, I've always sent my basses off to Mike Lull but decided to give this a try, it was super easy! I can't praise this enough!

The TB review......
When I got wind that long time Thunderbird Brother and fellow TBer Scott (GodofThunder59) Dasson had designed, developed and manufactured a replacement bridge (the BadBird II) for Gibson's 3 point I knew I'd have to give one a try. It's a very clever, yet simple design that's aesthetically very pleasing. Simply put, unlike some previous manufacturers designs this bridge looks like it belongs on a Thunderbird's classic shape, its straight, simple lines don't conflict with the bass. The bridge is primarily designed to fit Post 1988 Gibson 'Birds but will fit an Epiphone and in my case a Greco with ease, like the original '60s Gibson design this new bridge employs a tailpiece that's faithfully patterned and beautifully finished.
 I've long had an upgrade project in mind for my 1977 Greco Thunderbird II, while I've always loved it's raw, angry piano tone, the factory stock bridge struck me as odd - a chrome plated 3 point clone and a poorly shaped though functional tail piece. The balance of the bass' hardware was done in Nickel so while I normally really like chrome this set up always kind of bugged me. Scott's bridge is available in Nickel so one was soon winging it's way cross country from New York to sunny Washington state. The bridge arrived in perfect order, carefully wrapped, I had to wait for my weekend to have some time to start the project. Not really knowing what to expect I figured I'd need a few hours to sort it out and make a start at it. As turned out though it took less than an hour to change from the original bridge to the new one. In my case the tailpiece was a simple exchange after removing the strings, with no holes to drill ( obviously, you would have to drill on a bass that didn't already have a tail piece), even I can turn a screwdriver! The bridge itself is equally simple, I removed the old three point ( and cleaned up a lot of pick dust and other detritus) and it's 3 three mounting posts easily, the Bad Bird II parts simply take the place of the original outer two posts and the center post is a newly designed part that the center of the bridge rests on. The Bad bird II inserts into the posts in the same fashion as a 3 point, the threaded saddles are held in place with a long screw/spring and will always stay in place unlike a Gibson! I found height adjustment to be quite easy by simply raising or lowering each of the posts a little at a time. Setting the intonation was equally simple, using a pedal tuner I moved the saddles forward and back until the open note and it's octave were in tune. My total time was about an hour and a half (first time I've ever changed a bridge!) and it was very easy and fun to do. The bridge is easy to work with and it's my understanding that it's a huge improvement on Gibson basses as the tail piece keeps the string silk wrap out of the saddles, I'm already thinking about another one for my Burny Thunderbird.
 When playing live I'm using a pick about 98% of the night, my comfortable playing position is with the outside edge of my hand laying across the bridge so I finished the project with a new nickel bridge cover that Scott also happens to offer, I think its the finishing touch that really sets the bass off and yet keeps its classic looks and color intact.
 I really have to compliment Scott on his design, it fits the bass, looks like it belongs there, it's simple to install and use. Bravo!

Here's the Greco after I'd set the intonation and had removed the strings to raise the pickup

Thunderbird and a Subaru, 'cause, you know ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
Looking very TII... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »
I've heard that North Korea is desperately short of pot metal and that Kim Jong Number Un has demanded that all Gibson and Epi three-point users turn in their bridges to be melted down.  :P

But how would Henry do a limited edition of the Signature EB-Un without the three pint ?

Each North Korean could spend their lifetime earnings to buy one!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 03:23:31 AM »
   Marks thank you for such a great review!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »
   Marks thank you for such a great review!

The band has a bunch of shows booked, the Badbird II Greco will be out with me - pix to follow!