Author Topic: More bad news for AC/DC  (Read 28521 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
More bad news for AC/DC
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:59:57 PM »
AC/DC postpone tour as Brian Johnson faces total hearing loss...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/acdc-postpone-2016-tour/

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: More bad news for AC/DC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:33:07 AM »
“will be made up later in the year, likely with a guest vocalist.” fills me with a nagging, gnawing fear that Dave Grohl will inject himself into yet another band's bloodstream.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »
Even before the making of the last album, Johnson was concerned whether he was "still up to it" - maybe he had an inkling. Going deaf for a living, alright. He's done his service for AC/DC and rock'n'roll, not worth losing your hearing about it. BTW, Bon Scott was near-deaf at the end of his years with AC/DC too, their stage volume took no prisoners.

Status Quo have anounced that they will retire from "electric concerts" this year (unplugged and sitting down will continue), Francis Rossi, never one to mince words, says that "after each gig, these days everything f***ing hurts". And Rick Parfitt's most frequent organ is by now the bypass.

Back to the Aussies: Amazes me that they are even considering to continue without Brian J (forever in the shadown of Bon Scott, he nevertheless put his stamp on everything since Back in Black) - they might as well just put Angus on stage by himself if that is all that counts. AC/DC is not Rainbow, it's not like one man embodies the band.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:15:30 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »
This is how the world AC/DC ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

It certainly doesn't sound promising at all if they are already talking about guest singers.  Maybe Angus is one of those guys that would die if he ever quit touring but successfully replacing the singer for the second time is a long shot.  In a lot of ways it was a miracle that they were able to find someone who pushed the band to new heights the first time, but now?  Here's to hoping after some time off and some good Doctors Brian can find a way to come back at least for a farewell bow.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 07:56:30 PM »
 a lovely story about how Johnson came to be in AC/DC,  dunno if its true but I hope so..

apparently before moving to Aus, Bon Scott had played in a band that supported Brian Johnson's band, and he had made such an impression on Bon that he had talked about him as an inspiration to the AC/DC guys. So when they were considering a new singer, one of them went " hey lets track down that guy Bon was always banging on about" and the rest as they say is history

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
Pretty much. The version of the story from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Johnson is great:

Angus Young recalled: "I remember Bon playing me Little Richard, and then telling me the story of when he saw Brian singing [with Geordie]." He says about that night: "There's this guy up there screaming at the top of his lungs and then the next thing you know he hits the deck. He's on the floor, rolling around and screaming. I thought it was great, and then to top it off – you couldn't get a better encore – they came in and wheeled the guy off!'" Johnson was diagnosed with appendicitis later that night, which was the cause of his writhing around on stage
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 04:59:53 AM »
Yup, that's pretty much how it was. They also asked Noddy Holder of Slade at the time but he didn't want to jump ship. Dan McCafferty of Nazareth turned them down too - most likely to his ultimate heartfelt regret!  :) You can tell by those choices that the Young family already had a certain vocal style in mind, someome who could gravel-throatedly screech over the music with conviction.

Johnson sang with greater variation with Geordie - once he was with AC/DC he became a full force one-trick pony (which is what his new employers obviously wanted and you can't argue with the success he's had with them).

Kinda like Dio focused (or reduced) his voice once he moved from Elf to Rainbow (with a further reduction in vocal style when he moved to Sabbath and finally Dio, the band).

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:19:09 AM by uwe »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 05:34:07 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 07:59:23 AM »
Cute! You can already hear very well what the later Ronnie would sound like.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
Cute! You can already hear very well what the later Ronnie would sound like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsRXuzB-ILY&ab_channel=DIOCIRCLE

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 09:42:08 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 10:56:07 AM »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 11:56:43 AM »
Hmm... not loud music, but loud cars damaged his hearing...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/brian-johnson-hearing-loss/

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 04:26:37 AM »
Even with as loud as their shows are I'm not surprised at all that he could have done more damage from racing that music.  I raced motorcycles for almost 2 decades and have been exposed to far greater extremes in volume that I ever have with music. Granted, the hearing loss I have experience was was mostly avoidable with proper ear protection but you're young, dumb and invincible it doesn't always cross your mind to wear protection  :o