Author Topic: Rikkimax's Fenderbird Project - WE HAVE ACHIEVED LIFTOFF  (Read 6260 times)

Rikkimax

• View Profile
Rikkimax's Fenderbird Project - WE HAVE ACHIEVED LIFTOFF
« on: August 04, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »
Hey Forum Guys:

Up until now I have been an observer, but I think I am ready to throw my hat into the ring.  My name is Rikkimax, and I am currently involved in a Fenderbird project.

First off, I want to let all of you know that I have learned a heck of a lot following all of your posts, and it has also been really entertaining.  I especially want to thank forum members drbassman, god of thunder and dc10bass for their personal communications, advice and creations.

Here’s the story:

I have been a major fan of The Who ever since I heard “Pinball Wizard” in sixth grade…that would be about 1969…making me about xxxxx years old.  In 1971, I cut fifty lawns at two dollars a piece to buy my first bass:  a red Hagstrom II (a great bass to learn on).  In 1973, I saw The Who live at the Capital Center in Largo, Maryland for the Quadrophenia tour, and got to see my idol, John Entwistle, up REAL close.  That concert confirmed for me the way I wanted to play bass.  Entwistle was playing a black Fenderbird through his monster Sunn rig, and completely blew me away.  Ever since that day, I wanted to have one of my own, but it seemed an impossible prospect.

Jumping forward to the age of the internet (via a 1974 Rickenbacker 4001, a 1000 pound Kramer with a steel neck, an Alembic Exploiter, a Precision, a ’62 Jazz reissue and an Epi Thunderbird copy), I spent many frustrating hours googling the word “Fenderbird,” and not finding much.  I couldn’t find the bridge, the tailpiece, the pickups, or someone who could create a body and connect a neck with it.  I could see other people looking for parts, too, but they seemed as frustrated as me.

However, in May 2008, I got a hit.  I found a website for HMR Guitars that showed a guy, Curt T, standing there with JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.

Thus began my project.  I e-mailed HMR Guitars, and the owner Ron called me back.  He said he could do the build if I got permission from Curt.  I e-mailed Curt via his MySpace page.  Curt called me and gave me permission and tons of tips.  I then started looking for parts, and was suddenly and amazingly successful.  BadAssBassPlayers.com, The Last Bass Outpost and the Gibson Forum opened a new world.  Imagine my surprise and delight when I e-mailed “God of Thunder” and asked him whether the bridge shown in a picture of one of his basses was a Scott Dasson “Badbird” Bridge…!  Needless to say, I was soon in possession of a Badbird.  I found drbassman’s LBO thread about tailpieces just as he was saying “I’m shipping them out to you guys tomorrow…”!   I was thinking, please god, let me get my order in before he sells the last one!  I just made it!  I saw Dave Wescott’s site “Fretsonthenet” which showed awesome pickup rings that he made for vintage T-Birds.  Dave put me on to Tony Carl, who makes the beautiful T-Bird pickup covers and bridges.  As soon as I got Tony’s pickup covers, I sent them to the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop for MJ to stuff with repro 60’s T-Bird guts (they were finished in about five weeks!).  I talked to Spike at Warmoth and got a Precision neck with just the frets I wanted, and searched the net until I found an excellent bootleg 70’s Precision Bass Decal (don’t call the cops).   I was proud to find the #6 – 1.5 inch over head stainless steel screws to match drbassman’s tailpiece.  I found them after an extensive internet search at a boating store in West Virginia!!!  Anyway, I got all the bits and pieces together, and sent them last week to HMR Guitars.  At that point, Ron at HMR started work on the bass.  In the following photos you can see the “bits and pieces” I gathered, the body wood being joined and cut, and the primer coat being put on.  As I am a newbie, I am not sure whether these photos will actually make it into this post.  If they don't, I will be smart and ask someone how the heck to do it.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress.  I hope you are interested.

I just want to say thank you to everyone for your ideas and encouragement.  I am glad to be a new contributor to the fun at the outpost.

Best wishes, Rikkimax

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:03:47 PM by Rikkimax69 »
I got blistahs on ma fingahs !!!

Bass VI

• View Profile
Re: Rikkimax's Fenderbird Project - WE HAVE ACHIEVED LIFTOFF
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
Welcome!
Well your pics haven't made it ( the dreaded red X ) but you're in good company with Fenderbird projects, check out Marks' ( Tbird1958 )
Looking forward to seeing yours'
Moderator Dave will probably be along soon to get you sorted out with the pics.

:toast:

S.
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Rikkimax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:55:59 PM »
Hey Bass VI:
Thanks.  I think I just figured this out.

I just modified my first post and got two photos in.  Here is another pair.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »
Looks like you've got it working now!
Inquiring minds will want to know body wood? Mahogany usually equals bliss!

S.
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Rikkimax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:09:04 PM »
Mahogany!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:30:46 AM »
Welcome here!

nice project!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 03:51:00 AM »
Looks good so far ! Keep us up dated !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 07:35:29 AM »
You're in good company here.

I find my Fenderbird to be a great sounding bass.

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:11:37 AM »
Ron at HMR Guitars is the best!!!
He does such a great job; I'm going back for seconds... this time, Fenderbird in black with the white pickguard. ;D

They're so good...Entwistle wouldn't have been able to tell the difference!
www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 06:33:15 AM »
Very cool!  Nice looking so far.  Keep us posted.  We can never get enough of this stuff!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 07:27:29 AM »
Hi and welcome

Nice project, looking forward to follow the process and see it when it's finished. Which color are you going for?

I 'am about to get a Fenderbird myself, it will be black with white pickguard.
Just received the '73 P-Neck and the '76 TB pups (actually a '76 Fenderbird with a '62 RI Jazz neck, bought it just for the pups and pots, also the luthier will use it as a template for the my Fenderbird body).

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 09:08:18 AM »
Take a look at the Blazerbird in the project section. Maybe you can help eachother!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »
Take a look at the Blazerbird in the project section. Maybe you can help eachother!

Thanks for thinking of this!  I can be slow some days!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Rikkimax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
Tyrellp34:   This one is going to be orange, and once my wife calms down and puts away the rolling pin, I want a black one!!!  --Rikkimax

Rikkimax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 06:40:06 PM »

WOW, I just saw the Blazerbird, and it was sweet!  I will stay in touch as my project moves forward.

Just a note here, should I move over to the projects page with my Fenderbird, or continue to discuss it here???