Author Topic: The Bad-Sonics aka my home made Bi-sonic pickups  (Read 11397 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: The Bad-Sonics aka my home made Bi-sonic pickups
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 02:32:17 AM »
Hello

the material that I used is as ferrite beads is this

http://www.ebay.it/itm/140493166602?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I stacked three with a drop of glue and the poles (that are actually alnico, not steel) pass through. They are adjustable, however not through the screws that are dummy. If I want to raise a pole I use a magnet to pull it out, or  I can push it to make it lower.
I decided to use the ferrite beads because I have no tools to drill properly laminations, and thinking that this would add some inductive material with very little eddy currents. The principle is the same as using laminations.
 I am now working to an alternative design where laminations are aside of the poles and will install on a Tractor bass clone that I am building.
Regarding how the pickup sounds I cannot compare to the real thing, since I have never played, but listening to the samples on the Dark Star site, and comparing to what I play I can recognize some similarities.

Neodymium is very good to my ears. I have winded until now 4 Jazz pick-ups, 1 split coil precision-like and two humbuckers (actually 3 but one was crap due to constructive defects). For all I used steel poles.

Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Beer of the Bass

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »
That makes sense, thanks for sharing.  I think I'll do some experimenting in the new year. 

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »
Just an update with my last creation. One more badsonic this time with neodymium magnets is installed in a jazz body. As soon as I replace my broken soundcard will post samples, however sound of this bass, a Berry Oakley tribute, is great.

Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
The Tractor is great!
I'd love to hear samples, so get that sound card fixed  :mrgreen: