Author Topic: Comments about Gretsch Filtertron pickups?  (Read 6567 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Comments about Gretsch Filtertron pickups?
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »
Been eyeing these Gretsch Filtertrons as possible replacements for the pickups in my Univox Hollowbody...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Gretsch-BASS-Filtertron-Pickup-CHROME-/300423049818?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f29bf25a

Comments are welcomed!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Comments about Gretsch Filtertron pickups?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:41:04 AM »
I've got a Gretsch 6072 reissue with those pickups in it and they are pretty good in this particular bass.  Years ago, people complained about them being too thin and not having enough bottom, but my 6072 has no problems with its lower end.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:10:55 AM »
There's a fair amount of online discussion about the guitar versions - evidently when Fender took over, the magnets were ceramic, but they changed them back to Alnico magnets.  No word on whether the bass pickups went through a similar change.  But I do have faith in Gretsch pickups in general.

If they're good in your Gretsch hollowbody, I suspect they'd be good in the Univox.  You and I both share a preference for a classic 60's bass sound and well-aged flat strings, don't we?  They'd certainly look great in that Univox.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »
Yeah, we do have similar tastes.  I think it would sound fine and look great.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »
This is sounding better and better.  I can't find external dimension info anywhere so I've emailed the seller asking for that info.  If they're not a great deal larger than the Univox pickups, I think I'll do it.

Damn, I have GOT to get in gear with bass projects!!!!!!  That will make 3 instruments waiting for a pickup graft.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »
Since TV Jones apups re the same dimensions, you could check his site.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
Since TV Jones apups re the same dimensions, you could check his site.

I didn't know that - but it follows.  Lots of good info there - it appears that all the TV Jones pickups, bass and guitar, are the same dimensions, 1 3/8 x 2 13/16.  The mounting bezels/rings may also come in handy.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:29:18 AM »
I guess TV Joneses are much more expensive, but that are great pick ups. I was blown away by them (almost literally) when I tried a White Falcon Bass.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:45:29 AM »
I didn't know that - but it follows.  Lots of good info there - it appears that all the TV Jones pickups, bass and guitar, are the same dimensions, 1 3/8 x 2 13/16.  The mounting bezels/rings may also come in handy.

Since the TV Jones pups are direct drop in replacements for Gretsch pups, things should be consistent.  For sure on the rings, there's only a few places you can get them.  I do believe Stew-Mac has them too.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »
I guess TV Joneses are much more expensive, but that are great pick ups. I was blown away by them (almost literally) when I tried a White Falcon Bass.

Yep, but they are really nice sounding pups.  I have them in my Gretsch Thunderjet and they are sweet bass pups!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »
Well, the Filtertrons are ordered.  I think I'll replace the pots and the pickup selector switch while I'm at it.  The hood news is that the Filtertrons appear to be extremely close to the same size as the original Univox pickups.  With luck I won't have to cut any wood to mount them.

I'll order pickup rings once I get a look at how these mount.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 06:37:35 AM »
I have a dumb question.  Are the Trons humbuckers or single coil?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 07:23:46 AM »
I have a dumb question.  Are the Trons humbuckers or single coil?

The info on the Gretsch web page (showing a guitar pickup, but whaddayagonnado?) sez:

Filter'Tron pickups feature dual-coils and are designed to Filter  out the elecTronic hum normally associated with single-coil pickups, while adding a warmer tone, and a significant increase in output and sustain.

I am making the assumption that the bass pickups are similar in construction.  I'm still trying to figure out what kind of mount they will use....coz I gotta get them into a hollowbody.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »
I think they are using those two screw holes you see in the picture, adding some foam between them and the bass body.
You can use mousepad material, its a good alternative.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 11:25:35 AM »
That'll make it interesting, because these pickups can't be surface mounted on the bass - they have to be mounted inside the hollow body.  Most hollows use pickups with a tab on each side and a screw that goes through the trim ring to position the pickup. 

I'm pretty confident that I can manufacture a jig that will allow me to achieve that mount.  Challenges, challenges.

Here's a pic - taken when the Univox bass was my computer desktop photo: