Author Topic: Dark Star wiring  (Read 9982 times)

ramone57

• View Profile
Re: Dark Star wiring
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »
I asked myself the same question when I had my JS-II. It's overkill, but it does allow you to control overall volume after setting the relative volume between the two pickups.

ok, that makes sense.  I usually just adjust my amp volume for that if I need to. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 11:56:06 AM »
Re Fred's message, I thought we all understood that higher pot value bleeds off fewer highs and makes for a brighter sound.

I'm not sure he saw the entire discussion about pots.  No big deal, just another voice in the choir!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »
I asked myself the same question when I had my JS-II. It's overkill, but it does allow you to control overall volume after setting the relative volume between the two pickups.

I have Master vols on both of my Gretsch basses and I like it.  Once I get the other controls where I like them, I can turn everything down between sets, for breaks, etc.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 03:36:53 AM »
I have Master vols on both of my Gretsch basses and I like it.  Once I get the other controls where I like them, I can turn everything down between sets, for breaks, etc.

Agreed!
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 04:58:11 AM »
I'm think I might put on on the M-85, what the heck.  The problem is the matching Guild knob, which is damn near impossible to find and cost $50 each when you do!!!!!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 05:17:17 AM »
Ill check mt magic box o' stuff. Im using a tall thin  knob on mine .M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 05:57:54 AM »
Ill check mt magic box o' stuff. Im using a tall thin  knob on mine .M

Hey, thanks Mike.  The other problem will be where to drill the hole!!!

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 12:37:05 AM »
So, how did it sound with 250k pots?

Hi, my first post on the Outpost after I read ChrisP's post in this topic. I was the one to trade Darkstars with ChrisP, so my reply may be a bit late, but perhaps still be usefull.

I've had some emailcontact with Fred Hammon also about which pots to use, and after telling him my plan and the sound I wanted (dark mean growl and not to trebly) he advised me to use 500k's for a (semi)hollowbody and for a solidbody to use 250k pots.

I ended up using the 250k's:
* for the black P I used the wiring harness I got from Chris, coming from Bayou Cables, and it sounds exactly like I expected. But perhaps the maple necks helps a bit too.
* for the Tractor I also have the sound I wanted, but with this bass I still feel some need to experiment with some 500k pots. But, still with the 250k's in combination with the set Fender Custom 60's at the bridge, this bass just screams "Fillmore East" when you dig in  8)

This is the result:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 02:23:50 AM »
Welcome Peter! Forgot to mention this thread to you.

Gorgeous basses!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 05:41:52 AM »
Hi Peter, great looking basses mate.
Digresion our specialty!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 06:41:41 AM »
Hi Peter, nice to see you here!

I'm sure you will like it here better than the BGF with all the adolescent know-it-alls  ;)

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 07:27:46 AM »
Thanks the compliments and for the warm welcome.

I've been lurking on this forum now and then, but think I like it better here  ;) I've had it with the BGF.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 07:47:13 AM »
Welcome Peter, it's great to have you here.  Those basses are beautiful!!!  So, how do they sound?

Based on all of the info I've seen, I think I'm going to wire them up as I do all of my Gibson projects,  500k on the vols and 300k on the tone.  If I don't like the tone, I'll switch things out and try something different.  I'm not a big fan of basses with strong mids and highs.  Bass is where it's at for me.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 07:12:39 PM »
hey there and welcome. those are nice. i love that P.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »
Thanks again for the warm welcome  ;)

About the basses how they sound: I don't have any soundsamples, but regarding the:
* Tractor: listen to Allman Brother Band's - Live at the Fillmore East, and you'll get the picture. My bass doesn't sound exactly the same of course, but it's close. Strong low-mids, just enough highs (but surely not trebly). In my band it cuts easely through the mix of 2 LesPaul over Mesa's.  8)
* DS-P: Strong low-mids, more mid than the Tractor, but again just enough highs. Just like a Precision-on-steroids, but more definition and much richer sound.

And what an eye-opener: using pots with different values for volume and tone. Something I gonna experiment with for sure !