Author Topic: How many more times...? records/CD's that just can't stay in the collection...  (Read 871 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Nofi's Jam Room thread made me think of something I had forgotten...

I have owned Frampton Comes Alive several times but not on CD, same goes for the 1st Boston... for some reason they don't stay in the collection... the Zeppelin LP's were all the same... something I keep putting aside when it comes to getting them on CD...

There have been several records I've purchased over the years for a couple of songs but when they didn't get a regular "spin" the got converted at what used to be called the R&T in London (The Record and Tape Exchange to those not in the know - get about a 1/5 what you payed and buy something for 1/2 price, unless it's collectable, then they would usuallly pay you 1/2 market value) but what has haunted you...?

Another POV is how many times have you worn out a record - my top one on this was the Allmans at Fillmore East - 10 vinyl copies - I kept my personal fave copy - pink Capricorn label and one of those gorgeous big thick cardboard US gatefolds - even wore out a Japanese copy...

With my conversion to MP3's (and my lack of taste when it comes to audiophilism) the "one-track" dilema has ended...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
when i was selling records at record shows and on ebay there were a bunch of records that i wished i still had. but when you are in selling mode you will sell anything, somtimes to your regret. in the real old days when times were tough i would sell records to make rent. :sad: over the past several years i have managed to re collect most of the lost treaures as well as some new things so my collection is pretty much complete and this time it's not going anywhere. ;) wearing out lps :o.  are you using a nail for a stylus. you may need a turntable/cartridge upgrade. ???

btw not my jam room.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:06:46 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
... wearing out lps :o.  are you using a nail for a stylus. you may need a turntable/cartridge upgrade. ???

I haven't got a vinyl player down here and broke up my collection some time back (7000+ items at it's peak) and again, like yourself, sold a lot of stuff to get other items...

I always kept an old stylus for what I called "ploughing..." imagine buying a second-hand LP and finding a minor defect, then having to "re-groove" the disc - I have also used a powerful backlit magnifying light, a steady hand, and various implements...

Jackie has quite a number of rare old country lps - no replacements and no CD's available - so from time to time I have "repaired" some of these and transfered to CD for her...

Again, as you said, I regret parting-out plenty of records, but what I've got is the sacred stuff for me...

Just feels kind of funny to be boxing up the CDs to sit with the vinyl and holding this tiny piece of red aluminium filled with virtually no moving parts and holding so much to listen to, at whim...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Many of my 45's and LPs from the 60's and 70's have start-of-track damage from cueing them up repeatedly on radio station turntables.  A couple of the stations I worked at had terrible record collections, so I brought my own to add some variety.  After enough cueing, the start of some tracks sound like frying bacon with the mike close to the pan.

This is one reason I'm a BIG fan of CDs.  You can't damage a CD by cueing it up...and if you do that with vinyl enough times, the track will be damaged.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
Having been in the military and then working for the Gov't for a bunch of years, I've had to move around quite a bit.
Those moves always seems to take it's toll on LP's.  I've lived in a desert environment with only a swamp cooler as an air conditioner and I ended up losing a substantial portion of my collection in a flood.  After trying to replenish it, I finally gave in and moved on to CD's.
I use one of those LP->MP3 converters to put my vinyl music on my iPod.

For Christmas this year, my son got me 3 LP's that he found in a used record store: Pink Floyd's Meddle, King Crimson's Discipline, and Yes 90125. Last year, he and I had been talking about great headphone albums and stuff that seems to sound better on vinyl.  He knew that I had lost Meddle & Discipline in the flood back in the '80's.  It's pretty cool to have 'em back.

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Very nice of him!

I still have all my vinyl stuff from the 60's and 70's, but it's not an extensive collection.  One album I have is The Electric Flag's 1968 LP A Long Time Comin', which is pretty hard to find...the group included Mike Bloomfield, Buddy Miles, Barry Goldberg, Harvey Brooks and Nick Gravenites.

I keep trying to find time to transfer some of that stuff to digital - but time, time, time.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."