Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: RRHOF
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 10:59:53 PM »
About

Mission

The operative words are "rock & roll" -- repeatedly. Not all the other popular genres.

I don't care who they leave out. It's just amusing how many rockers they ignore while inducting artists that don't fit.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 05:11:55 AM »
May I give one of my crap measured and lawyerly statements? Hear me out in my defense of Cleveland:

I'm happy that something like the RRHOF exists at all to commemorate and celebrate"rock and pop" music as a part of US/Western culture, irrespective of whether I have personal sympathy for each and every decision inducting an artist or a band or letting them wait in the purgatory of non-admission. And with most inductees I can understand why they are in there. I just sometimes scratch my head why some people are not yet in there. I understand that the list of possible inductees has in the past seen some political/woke wrangling on that there should be more women, more black artists, more non-US acts, more electronica etc., but that is fine with me as it just reflects a social discourse that goes on everywhere, the RRHOF doesn't operate in a vacuum.

I also don't feel that hard rock, heavy rock and heavy metal have been ignored. Let's see, the 'holy English heavy trinity' of the 70ies (Zep/Purple/Sabbath) is meanwhile in, the three major American heavy acts with decade-long relevance (Aerosmith/Kiss/Metallica) are in there. Heck, even AC/DC, that cerebral outpouring from Australia, is in there. The Alice Cooper Group is. Lynyrd Skynyrd (essentially a hard rock band with some Southern roots influence) is. Hard-rock oriented AOR acts like Journey and Bon Jovi are in there too (though I wonder why Foreigner, REO, Toto and Styx aren't, those bands once ruled American airwaves, had one hit after another and sold shitloads of records). That's not a bad representation, much as the exclusion of Grand Funk Railroad grates me (but they were never critics' darlings, let's face it). Judas Priest has had the chance for induction twice, they just didn't get the votes together, blame the JP fans then, not the RRHOF.

The one genre that probably has a right to complain is Prog. There are Genesis/Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues and Yes, there is Rush, Frank Zappa too. Roxy Music if you consider their art rock a Prog sub-genre. But no Jethro Tull, no Emerson, Lake & Palmer, no Kansas, no Mike Oldfield, King Crimson/Robert Fripp, Procol Harum or Asia, no one from the B league Proggies such as Gentle Giant, Caravan, Camel, Van der Graaf Generator, Barclay James Harvest etc.

Let me ask you a question. All you guys so hung up/obsessed about the 'RR' in RRHOF, what do you think of Kraftwerk being inducted?

Not Blues or C&W influenced. No guitars, basses or real drums. No r'n'r image. Yet they are in there (in real life, not just in some "The Man In The High Castle" alternative universe scenario where Nazi Germany has accidentally won ze wär  :mrgreen: ). Also with a huge impact on (hopefully) indisputable previous inductees such as David Bowie. Should they be in there, yes or no? Answers on a postcard please, why Kraftwerk should be rock'n'roll!  :mrgreen:

If I might add on a slightly nationalist note: No doubt, Rammstein and the Scorpions will follow one day too. Today Cleveland, tomorrow ze wörld!!! Or the other way around.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:27:51 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 09:23:49 AM »
I'm fine with Metallica being in there. They kind of led the charge of the next wave of American metal (NWOAHM?), with just enough commerciality to "cross over". I'm just annoyed with the order in which they induct people sometimes. It's like they suddenly realize "Oh crap, we better put so-and-so in there now!"

And yes to Kraftwerk.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 09:31:17 AM »
I'm with you, the RRHOF's sequencing is totally wanton. The only argument for it is that is sorta creates suspense for each year's candidates.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 08:47:36 PM »
I think it's great that Kraftwerk is in. I've always felt that influence should be one of the criteria. I don't have a strict "what is rock" definition. I'm fine with hip hop being represented.

Where I start getting irrationally offended, and have to remind myself that it DOESN'T MATTER, is when inarguably influential, popular, historically important groups get left out in favor of someone who came later and did less.
Last year I was miffed that the foo fighters got in ahead of both Priest and Iron Maiden. The entire metal family tree can be traced back through those bands. What can you trace back to the Foo Fighters? Anything?  There's nothing wrong with them - they have some good songs, they play fine - they're just so ... Basic. A good basic rock band. 

Respect should be given to pioneers, that's my feeling.

Oh, and Kate Bush should get in. But probably won't anytime soon because she never made that much impression in the US.

Fela Kuti didn't get in either.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 10:21:19 AM »
It's strange that people regard the RRHOF as an accreditation body or something. They know they will get endless free advertising from angry baby boomers if they induct rappers and ignore rock acts.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2022, 03:00:12 PM »
The Rock and Roll of Fame doesn't really recognize many bands. Well, that door swings both ways. More bands do not recognize this joke of an organization, and rightfully so.

Todd La Torre of Queensryche. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal