Author Topic: Explorer bass on ePay  (Read 12912 times)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
Explorer bass on ePay
« on: February 09, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192093558162

This thing looks pretty badass. Doesn't seem to be much interest in it?  No love for these?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Explorer bass on ePay
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:03:00 AM »
Maybe bc the price is insane.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
Maybe bc the price is insane.

Too much?  Seems like it should be worth close to that?  Reissue Thunderbirds occasionally sell for nearly that much.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »
No love for these indeed. An unremarkable sounding piece of equipment with deceiving looks. Any other Explorer bass out there (Ibanez, Hamer, Epiphone, the Gibson reissue from a few years ago) sounds better. The 80ies Gibson Explorer basses are let down by medium scale (sloppy E-string, dull harmonics) and Grabber pups from the early 70ies which (never sonic marvels in the first place) by then were well beyond their BBD.

It is telling that although this was a classic Gibson shape and Explorer look basses became all the rage in Glam Metal daze none of these were played by any pro bassist I would recollect while at the same time TBirds were plentiful with the Hair Metal crowd. So don't change your moniker into FrankiE-xpl just yet!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 11:23:08 AM »
Too much?  Seems like it should be worth close to that?  Reissue Thunderbirds occasionally sell for nearly that much.

Because of what Uwe said, I don't think they're worth that much, yes; certainly never seen one sell for more than a grand before (not that I keep close tabs.... and remembering that asking prices don't count).

Last one sold on ebay (dif fin; pups replaced with TBird pups, which should be an improvement, but may have hurt the value here a tad) went for 700 (the asks are all over the place from 1-2k - nonje of them selling): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Explorer-Bass-in-VS-with-Thunderbird-Pick-Ups-Rare-No-Reserve-/162297374493?hash=item25c9ad671d:g:L8YAAOSwiDFYOcdi

There was also the piezo "graphic" version sold recently, but it was a best offer (on an ask of 1.9k) so we don't know the final price and it's technically a different animal.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:29:29 AM by Granny Gremlin »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »
Last three from domestic sellers (not counting the piezo one) sold for $625, $700 and $889/Best Offer Accepted, but when you sort them by price plus shipping, the $889 one shows up between the other two, so that seller obviously came down quite a bit.  I think it's safe to say $700 is about right in today's market.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
I believe that this type of Epiphone korina explorer is the better instrument, so I've heard from some learned types here... and about 1/2 the price...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 04:51:51 AM »
Definitely less than a thousand bucks or anywhere near. Piezo and the stripey fin ones fetch a little more, but not much. Counter-intuitively, the piezo version sounds a lot more lively and assertive than the Grabber pup one. Still, both a Grabber and a Victory Standard are much better instruments (the Explorer mixes parts from both, but they are both long scale and have maple or alder bodies).

I can't see these ever going up in value in a relevant way. They are just not very well sounding basses, have no name player attached to them and lack the mystiqe of the the early 80ies Flying V basses which are sonically nothing to write home about either, but trade much higher probably due to the higher craftsmanship and the Flying V legend. Those 80ies Explorers reek cheap in contrast. Gibson did much, much better with the "reissue" (in fact a completely different bass with the same body shape) from a few years ago. If you're in love with the Explorer look - and I can understand anyone who is -, then buy one of those.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:00:46 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »
In my experience, you'd be better off with a Hamer Blitz. Great necks, long scale, good balance. P/J isn't ideal, but not the worst thing in the world. Epis have super chunky necks. I liked the recent Gibson version, but the tone was a little dull compared to my LP and FBird.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 08:33:45 AM »

I can't see these ever going up in value in a relevant way. They are just not very well sounding basses, have no name player attached to them and lack the mystiqe of the the early 80ies Flying V basses which are sonically nothing to write home about either, but trade much higher probably due to the higher craftsmanship and the Flying V legend.

The Vs , while not having any proper 'name' players attached to them, do have some lesser but still known players (nichier stuff - punk etc).  Often the
re's a band schtick of having Vs on both sides of the stage.  They're not the only ones, but Jay Reatard comes to mind.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 10:07:38 AM »

Thanks guys, very good info.  So these are medium-scale?  What is that, 32"?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 10:26:42 AM »
Yes, give or take.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 11:44:02 AM »

I kinda like the 32" scale, I guess those pickups would have to go though.  Probably be sweet with a couple Thunderbuckers in there.  Why mess with it though?  Probably best to stick with the Thunderbirds (and that is not a bad thing). 

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
Wasn't there a humbucker version of the Hamer? Like in the first couple videos off of Pyromania?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 04:26:32 PM »
Dean made a killer explorer bass with Dimarzio humbuckers in the early 80s. I lusted after one but ended up getting an ML instead...I still kick myself for not getting the explorer.