Author Topic: how often?  (Read 3124 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
how often?
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:48:41 PM »
i know most of us here are not "professional" musicians,so i was wondering how much bass time you guys average? i'm in 2 bands. ATU practices once a week for 2 or 3 hours and gigs regularly.(3 shows last month). my other band does about 4 hours of practice a week but no gigs yet since we still need to find a singer but we have 14 songs solid.i also work 50-60 hours a week. so i'm pretty tired.i don't play much at home,maybe a little bit on my day off.so thats like 24 hours a month.for a few months i was doin' 3 bands.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:34:58 AM by SKATE RAT »
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Hornisse

Re: how often?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:10:23 PM »
I recently stopped gigging after a 7 year stint with The Crush.  It just got increasingly harder to do the every weekend gig deal for me.  I work full time and even on Saturdays which is a pain for playing in bands.  I remember we had a Thursday night gig in Houston one December so I drove the 3 hours after getting off work at 4 and ended up at the venue around 7:30.  We played from 9:30 to 1:30 a.m. and I headed back to Austin around 2 a.m. got home at 4:30 a.m. and went to work at 7 a.m. on Friday.  I was beat!  We did all cover songs and the pay was great but I only practiced when we learned new songs.  I have not played at all since my last gig with them in late July.  I hate practicing.  Spending more time with the old Hornet.  :mrgreen:

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »
When I played for a living I averaged just a bit below 40 hours a week of fingerboard time. These days I average about 4 to 5 a week.

I'm in  2 bands and average 3 shows a month (2 full hours playing in each show). One band practices once a week for 3 hours the other practices once a month if we are lucky for 3 hours. The band that practices less is the band that gigs most. I allocate at least a half hour of personal practice 3-4 times a week.

And still IMHO my chops suck  :rolleyes:

There is no substitution for full time playing when it comes to chops.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:52:07 PM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:26:57 AM »
 I just play in the one band, We rehearse every Monday night for 4 hours and I mean 4 hours of work ! Sure we have a few laughs but we are pretty focused. Gigs are usually two 1 1/2 hour sets . I try and play every day, run my scales or bits that are giving me trouble.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:30:36 AM »

Just The Nasty Habits for me, we're averaging 2 shows a month I guess, I'd like a little more but that's a goal for us. We book ourselves and finding the right venue and event is something we are careful about. We are all over the place on money, some local shows don't pay much but it's good exposure - when we travel we make good $$$.
 I spend anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours solo at least 5 days a week, the band gets together on average of once every two weeks, sometimes more......sometimes less. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 09:36:36 AM »
I haven't been in a band in years, I do play almost every day. Sorry, I don't time myself.  :)

nofi

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 09:55:32 AM »
same here.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 10:18:05 AM »
I work full time, teach online, do volunteer work and do all my own car (5 cars) and home repair.

My practice time is usually the two hours per week that the band meets to practice.  Occasionally I put in 15-20 minutes on a specific number I'm having trouble fingering or figuring out.

I have never been conscientious about practice.  Ever.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 11:31:58 AM »
I try to play every day...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 03:57:56 PM »
I'm lazy; mandolin sits by my lounge chair, 12 string and "Jack" bass in the bedroom... they get picked up daily... too much typing at present and (probably) without a gig again... gonna concentrate on finding "work" once I get the gear back up to spec...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »
Until a few weeks ago I was in two bands. Stonefly (which I quit) rehearsed once a week, for about 3 hours.
And Superfloor rehearsals are once in two weeks, for about 3 hours.

Stonefly didn't have many gigs. Once a month or so.
Superfloor has about 2 or sometimes 3 gigs per month.

At home it goes in waves. Sometimes when I have to learn new songs I play a lot. A few hours a day or so.
But there are times when I don't touch a bass for a week straight  :o

Noodling on the couch doesn't count. (in my book)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 03:46:43 PM »
This year I'm averaging 2-3 gigs per month, but that's with 4 different bands (although the blues band hasn't gigged this year).  I probably rehearse 3 nights per month in total across all those bands.  Personal practice averages 3-4 hours per week, usually when I've got new songs to learn or haven't gigged with one of the bands for some time and need to kick my brain into gear.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:16:12 AM »
Just the one band, 3 gigs this month, but it's usually 1 or 2. Rehearse once or twice a month. I tend to have panic practices at home the night before a gig, or before a reheasal if I was supposed to work on new stuff.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 07:57:28 AM »
I tend to have panic practices at home the night before a gig, or before a reheasal if I was supposed to work on new stuff.

I understand that!  I think we have found an honest man!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 09:15:40 AM »
Normally, during November and December our regular venues where we play several times a month close their live-music season, and our corporate holiday gigs increase heavily. But, this year, as last, the corporate shows have dropped off, so its pretty slow right now. Even wedding$ have dropped off.
The way we usually do it is, during our slow time, January and February, we rehearse once or twice a week, adding new songs. Then when "the season"(March-October) starts we've got several new tunes for the show and we don't really rehearse the rest of the year, playing often keeps things sharp.
During a normal week we'll play 2 or 3 shows. A full show is 3 45-minute sets. If my Rutles tribute band opens then add another 45 minutes for me.
My church band rehearses one night a week for an hour, then Sunday morning soundcheck for 30 minutes, then the service for 1 hour.
I have a studio in my home and write/record my own songs there, usually only get about 3 hours a week in.
I have a full-time job, Central Texas area safety supervisor for a concrete company.
I have a wife and a 19-month-old son.
I'm 51.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.