Author Topic: Best Christmas gift ever!  (Read 2674 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Best Christmas gift ever!
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:22:13 AM »
I'm a pretty private person, but recent events make me want to share this:
We just found out that my Mom, who lives alone in Florida, has non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. We were deciding on what to do for the Holidays when we decided to that my 3 brothers and their families would come on down to NC for celebrate Christmas.  We're flying Mom up here to spend a week or so before treatment starts. 

The thing that my Mom loves more than anything is the fact that her sons have always got along, and even though we're all pushing towards getting our own AARP cards (we range from 47-55), and live all over the East Coast of the US, we try to see each other when we can.  Unfortunately, getting the 4 of us together at once has proven really difficult over the past 10 years or so.

It's gonna be fun as we all love music and several of us hack at our favorite instruments & the one's that don't are gonna get crash courses (via Tabs and/or demo videos with crude chording) in the songs we're going to play.  We also have lots of stuff to bang on and a dedicated Jam Room upstairs with everything we need, so it's logical to have everyone come here. Mom has no idea that we're planning a jam...

Making a set-list via swapping email has been fun so far.  My 3 bro's, myself and my 2 sons (my 12 year old plays drums & and my 17 yo plays guitar, bass and has a great voice) all have musical tastes that are similar enough that allow us to do this, yet diverse enough to throw a few head-scratchers in there.  We're also gonna do some Simon & Garfunkel and Kingston Trio for Mom.

So far, the Christmas Menu includes: Georgia Satellites, Ramones, Johnny Lee Hooker, Nazareth, Uriah Heep, SRV, Tom Petty, Smithereens, Focus (yes...Hocus Pocus! a little raucous Christmas yodeling!!), Eagles, Kingston Trio, S&G, Kinks, Fleetwood Mac ("Oh Well"), Madness, Modern Lovers, Clash, Iggy Pop ("Search & Destroy" is the ultimate holiday song!), Traffic & for some reason, I've been told that we're playing the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".  Maybe Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "House at Pooh Corner", & Ozark Mtn. Daredevil's "Chicken Train"...note to self: get some kazoos, spoons and a Jaw Harp.

My mom can't stop talking about this Christmas - I swear she's never sounded juiced about getting on a plane before.
The pain of listening to the aforementioned menu should ease her mind about her upcoming radiation treatment...or it might make her hop back on plane that day.  I guess we'll see.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Best Christmas gift ever!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:25:50 AM »
Enjoy every minute.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 08:27:28 AM »
Sounds like a great idea.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 02:23:28 PM »
+100%
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »
Bautiful! Hope all goes well with the show & your mum!!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »
What a great setlist. Are you going to have a recorder running?
Digresion our specialty!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 06:22:49 AM »
What a great setlist. Are you going to have a recorder running?

x2! Definitely record this! It's going to be fantastic and your mom is going to love it!!!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
x2! Definitely record this! It's going to be fantastic and your mom is going to love it!!!

Oh yeah, Mom's already packed!  I got the Zoom H4n all cleaned out yesterday and we'll probably send all of it to the board as well - it's gonna be hilarious.
My brothers all have a disturbing sense of humor.  I'm sure there will be video cameras running, too - but no one will want to see that!
Spent some time yesterday rearranging the Jam Room to fit more people, and mic'ing the drums.  I got a new BW speaker in the TNT130 and it's killer.**

I will definitely try to post anything worthwhile.

**but, I'm still looking for a decent (and affordable) head/2x10.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 10:08:23 AM »
What a great tribute to you mom and to you guys that you can get along and celebrate what's important to you. I hope your mom gets through the treatment with much success, and I'm sure being with her sons will be a great lift to her spirits as she gets ready for that challenge. Merry Christmas to you all!

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »
What a great idea for Christmas!!!

We had a surprize family reunion for our Mom on her 65th birthday
(first time all the kids/grandkids were ever all in the same place).

I hope you have as much fun as we did!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 10:47:03 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words and wishes.
As far as she's concerned, this trumps any treatment.  No one lives forever, but it would be a real shame to not pull this off for her while she has the chance to enjoy it.

I'm so looking forward to cranking out Hocus Pocus - that song always made her smile.   

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 11:40:49 AM »
Who's going to do the whistling solo?

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
Who's going to do the whistling solo?

I think whistling like Thijs should be left to the Dutch, so I'm ordering a bunch of kazoos...everyone should have one for a group solo.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »
... I'm so looking forward to cranking out Hocus Pocus - that song always made her smile.   

Not the rood version I hope... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 10:00:58 PM »
Good luck to your mom.
Tony