Author Topic: Grabber review  (Read 4778 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Grabber review
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 08:21:46 AM »
Parachuting naked Nazi midgets doing blow (both ways). We needed a thread about them.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 09:37:19 AM »
All of the last five posters...

Doctor Kenny Von Dumpfkopf, donning his horn-rimmed glasses, peering over the top, wearing a finely tailored dark suit, pad in one hand, pen in the other, leaning slightly forward on a period chair, right leg crossed over the left, invites his clients to be seated...

"Gentlemen, vun at a time, tell me about your childhoods...? (zis should get me into ze Psychologists Gazette, nein problemfb) I fink ve should start viz the Antipodean vurst, ya...?"
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »
Your posts make the ghost of Herve Villechaize very sad.

Hornisse

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »
Q: What kind of M&M's does Herve Villechaize prefer?

A: The Plain, The Plain.......

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »
 :mrgreen:

And now for some shocking news: Wrestling midgets killed by fake hookers  :o

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 03:14:14 PM »
Modervator Vest und Herr Cruz, pleeze join ze queue... (mein gott, ze Nobel Peace prize is vivin grashp...!)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »
Gosh......( in my most naive Okie voice ) wasn't someone going to review a bass here?

Oh wait I forgot where I was for a moment......dwarves, parachutes, questionable behavior, all we need are a few Messerschmitts.........
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »
Gosh......( in my most naive Okie voice ) wasn't someone going to review a bass here?

Oh wait I forgot where I was for a moment......dwarves, parachutes, questionable behavior, all we need are a few Messerschmitts.........

Two words here...........repeat after me. Anal Sex.   ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 11:43:57 PM »
Okay, guys, I'll get this back on track again, after laughing my ass of for some minutes ;D

A summary:

In the UK it's apparently priced at 1.399 pounds, which is quite an okay price, having in mind ony 350 are made. The magazine does point out that you can score an original '70s version for 800 pounds.

The first things they mention is the 'silky satin ebony overcoat' and the huge size. About the neck they mention: 'Rather than super slim and fast, the maple neck is a model of comfort and playability and feels very classy under the hand.
The reviewer thinks the headstock is a bit too large, the bridge is well adjustable, but you need too many different gauges of screwdrivers to adjust it.

Of course they add some question marks to the sliding pick up:

'When Gibson says it can be moved 'between the end of the neck and the bridge', what they mean is that it will slide over a distance of about 95mm in a section in the middle of the body...'

The again Gibson as we know and love it:

'It isn't hard to adjust: you only need to loosen the four retaining screws and the pick up will slide quite easily. However, on our review model moving it closer to the neck resulted in the strings choking out on the pick up as it's been factory-set a little too proud of the body for comfortabe clearance.'

'With the humbucker slid to the 'bridge' position and the tone knob on maximum treble you get a lively, growly sound with a beautiful chiming, paion-like edge to the bottom end that's packed with harmonics. There's a solid feel to notes on thinner strings, with a well balanced midrange producing a sharply defined note - more than fat enough for grooving along, but it'll also cut through effortlessly, although in a manner that may be a tad lively for some. Nudging the pick up 15mm closer to the neck (all that's possibe without lowering the pick up) adds a noticaby sily width to proceedings. We're not sure you'd want to perform this adjustment on the fly. It really is a 'set and forget' affair.'

'A much easier way to sanitise the lively rock tone of the near bridge position is to back off the tone to 6. There's less harmonic fizz. Dialling the tone down to 4 gives a fat rootsy sound, great for filling space.'
'All kinds of players will find a suitabe sound.'

'Sound-wise it's meat-and-potatoes stuff, but of a very high quality, with lively width and decent, practical tonal varioations, which head into P-Bass direction, but the chiming note edge is married to a well-realised bottom end that sets this 1970s Gibson reissue apart from the legions of basses out there.'

Build Quality: 17/20
Playability: 18/20
Sound: 17/20
Value For Money: 15/20
Vibe: 16/20
Total: 83%

Good for: Retro rock and pop.
ook elsewhere for: Contemporary active sounds or a more conservative headstock.

I typed this quite fast so my apologies for some errors.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 02:02:50 AM »
Cheers Chris, very eloquent and descriptive review.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 05:24:38 AM »
Accurate review. Author knew what he was doing. Much as the Les Paul Standard is an all out rock bass, so is this. Mike Dirnt would be (re)converted in a sec.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 09:12:41 AM »
A "paion-like edge"?

When I'm on the edge, I sometimes feel paion.

When I pass each toll booth on the highway, I paion as I go.

Or is that in the sense of the Greek gods?
http://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Paion.html
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »
Never heard of that greek god, lol! Maybe there is a greek god for everything, like, let's say, a Gibson bass collector god.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »
I wanted to say I meant 'piano' but the Greek god is better!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
Never heard of that greek god, lol! Maybe there is a greek god for everything, like, let's say, a Gibson bass collector god.

Has a mortal spoken my name?!!!

:mrgreen: