Author Topic: EB-3L  (Read 4952 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: EB-3L
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 04:59:37 AM »
OK, I think I'm gonna pursue it.  Uwe, I might take you up on the bridge.  Let's see if the bass is still available.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 05:21:52 AM »
I didn't realize gibson used maple necks on the eb3l's.. thought that was only the eb-450 all maple bass.

here is my eb3l  - wish it had a maple neck as it is a little bowed.  playable but not great..

That is a maple neck on there... unless you've changed it?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 05:52:01 AM »
That is why those things are so - ooops! - neck heavy and unstable ...

But there is an advantage too: True to its own general lazi- and thoughtlessness, Gibson did not consider to move the bridge pup back together with the long scale bridge position. The bridge pup stays where it is on a short scale even on a long scale, the bridge wanders to the butt of the bass, voilĂ  you have a bridge pup in a much more sensible position than on the short scale EBs.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 07:58:07 AM »
That is why those things are so - ooops! - neck heavy and unstable ...

But there is an advantage too: True to its own general lazi- and thoughtlessness, Gibson did not consider to move the bridge pup back together with the long scale bridge position. The bridge pup stays where it is on a short scale even on a long scale, the bridge wanders to the butt of the bass, voilĂ  you have a bridge pup in a much more sensible position than on the short scale EBs.

Good point Uwe!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 08:23:27 AM »
1+
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:21 AM »
For 400 bucks that is a worthy resurrection. Want a two point off me or do you want a sensible bridge on your bass?

You're being redundant.  :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 09:17:46 AM »
It actually wasn't a joke, Bill, if your are hellbent on making yourself unhappy and want to restore it with a two point, who am I to keep you back, I have a few of those miracles of US tooling. Sending them back to you is a bit like sending that other excellent piece of US machinery, the F-104 Starfighter back to the States!!!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:05:29 AM by uwe »

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 09:52:19 AM »
I understand the tilt-o-matic can become troublesome if the set screws aren't loosened before trying to adjust the height of the bridge, but other than, that they're quite functional, ime.  are there other problems I am not aware of?  my '71 Triumph and '72 Eb-3 each have one.  neither tilts and both intonate just fine.  what else could you ask for?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 10:11:54 AM »
It actually wasn't a joke, Bill, if your are hellbent on making yourself unhappy and want to restore it with a two point, who am I to keep you back, I have a few of those miracles of US tooling. Sending them back to you is a bit like sending that other excellent piece of US machinery, the F-104 Starfighter back to the States!!!!

You must be referring to the original bar bridges, right?

I'm looking for a more appropriate bridge for my EB-0 (don't like the BadAss on there) but want something a bit more adjustable than a bar bridge.  It looks like the Hipshot SuperTone 2-point might fit...distance between mounting stud centers is 3.26 inches and that's what mine appears to measure.  http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/two_point_dimensions_drawing1.pdf

...although unless my eyes are fooling me, the two mounting studs don't appear to be located level across the bass - the G-side post appears to be a bit closer to the top of the bass.  Might be optical illusion?

Bill may be in the same situation.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 10:14:05 AM »
Let me assure you: Tilt they can and tilt they will! With a few exceptions, the Triumphs being among them. The two point can work on some basses, but long scales (= greater string pull than on a short scale) are usually not among them. It's probably no coincidence that the two point was replaced after long scale basses equipped with it had become more common in Gibson's product range (SB-450, EB-3L, EB-0L and EB-4L).

At this point, Herr Westheimer usually interjects helpfully that two points work fine with stringholders. So would have Deepwater Horizon with better failure safety measures. Try telling that a pelican.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »
You must be referring to the original bar bridges, right?

I'm looking for a more appropriate bridge for my EB-0 (don't like the BadAss on there) but want something a bit more adjustable than a bar bridge.  It looks like the Hipshot SuperTone 2-point might fit...distance between mounting stud centers is 3.26 inches and that's what mine appears to measure.  http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/two_point_dimensions_drawing1.pdf

...although unless my eyes are fooling me, the two mounting studs don't appear to be located level across the bass - the G-side post appears to be a bit closer to the top of the bass.  Might be optical illusion?

Bill may be in the same situation.

Not the bar bridge, that is not as bad a tilter due to the way it is fastened by the studs. I'm talking the 67-72 individual saddle two point.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 11:25:36 AM »
The two point can work on some basses, but long scales (= greater string pull than on a short scale) are usually not among them

that makes sense.  I've never had a long scale with the 2pt bridge, only my shorties, so I hadn't considered that.  I'd venture to say that the tilt problems on most short scale basses would have to do with trying to adjust the height without loosening the set screws.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
Well, maybe a Hipshot would be smarter.  We'll see.  I can see the string tension from a 34" exerting a lot of pressure beyond that bridge's capabilities.  It needs a lot of work.  I won't touch it until the BillyBo and Hofner are finished.  No varitone and I didn't check the truss rod either.  Living on the edge!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »
All I can say is wow. That bridge is a sight  :o Hope the truss rod is ok , if you need the truss rod rescue kit you can borrow mine. I think I am very glad you bought it ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »
If ever something needed some TLC... good luck...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...