Author Topic: For the discriminating palate...  (Read 5476 times)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: For the discriminating palate...
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 08:32:46 AM »
More Bourbon info. ( from Wikipedia)

Distilling probably was brought to present-day Kentucky in the late 18th century by Scots, Scots-Irish, and other settlers (including, English, Irish, Welsh, German and French) who began to farm the area in earnest.

As of today, there are no operating distilleries within the current boundaries of Bourbon County

Bourbon's legal definition varies somewhat from country to country, but many trade agreements require the name bourbon to be reserved for products made in the United States.

As of 2013, approximately 95% of all bourbon is produced in Kentucky. The state has 4.9 million barrels of bourbon that are aging – a number that exceeds the state population.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
Like a virgin... never been touched...

Scotch has to be born in Scotland to be called Scotch, like Bourbon and Kentucky...

Ah, some family mementos...

Mark... the perfect Single Malt is...?

Kenny,

I'm very fortunate to live very near a cute little place that has 200 varieties of Scotch, I love the adventure of trying a new one! I would say my two faves are Bowmore 12 year and MacAllen 12, both very different from each other, Scotch is good for my soul.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 05:03:12 PM »
Purification process... ;)

Macallan was Iain Banks' preferred dram... get a hold of his travelogue book "Raw Spirit" which is a truly beautiful homage to The Malt and his tour round all, and I mean all, of the Scottish distilleries... he obtained bottles from every one of them, including those not accessible to the "public" and those that do not sell to the "public"... 8)

200, you say...?! 8) 8) 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 02:02:37 PM »

Yep, 200!

I kind of wanted to take Uwe and Edith there during their visit but we ran out of time/available evenings, plus I *think* they both enjoy wine a bit more than Scotch. I do truly love it tho, just straight with a soda water on the side, so you can really enjoy the complexity and after taste!

Damn, I'm at work and want some now!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »
Something to savour later... ;)

The thing that always surprised me is the absence of German red in the market...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »

The thing that always surprised me is the absence of German red in the market...

Ya gotta get Uwe to explain that  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 03:38:33 PM »
Not a wine fan, more of a bourbon fan.  Beam's Choice in particular.

And my wife's Atomic brownies, which she made for Valentine's...multiple layers of chocolate topped with tiny marshmallows and another layer of chocolate over that! Now, that's for the discriminating chocolate palate!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »
There's something Jackie makes she calls death-by-chocolate which is a mousse so rich it is bad for you on its own... not vegan so rarely made here now... when Roshina used to eat it it gave her headaches... :o

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »

I'd so eat that if it would go to my butt..........

Instead it lands at my tummy  :-\

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 01:52:12 AM »

I'd so eat that if it would go to my butt..........

Instead it lands at my tummy  :-\

LBO postings sound so funny sometimes when taken out of context!

I'm a chocolate lover myself, mmm dark belgian.. And washed down with a bottle of samuel smith's taddy porter!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 07:13:54 AM »
I bow to your excellent judgment, sir.

But those brownies aren't half bad washed down with a big glass of cold milk, either.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 01:24:57 PM »

It is there, getting a larger share of the market and getting better in quality too (originally, German reds were budget wines such as Dornfelder and Blauer Portugieser) . But white is still what "German Wine" stands for.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »
The only place I knew in London you could get it was the German (food?) Centre that was near Hyde Park Corner but long gone from there - there was no doubt other sources but none I knew of...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 05:10:35 PM »
It is there, getting a larger share of the market and getting better in quality too (originally, German reds were budget wines such as Dornfelder and Blauer Portugieser) . But white is still what "German Wine" stands for.

As a 12 year old I was thrilled when I was given white wine at the restaurants in Germany - and yes, it was cool with my folks.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »
I sneaked down and got all the bottles out of the sideboard and started sampling them... I was about 4 or 5 at the time... parents were not best pleased with me... (hic) :o