Author Topic: Really stupid amp Q (not trolling!)  (Read 4537 times)

daan

• View Profile
Really stupid amp Q (not trolling!)
« on: November 03, 2012, 12:42:45 AM »
For years now I've been playing thru a "Hohner Marlin" practice amp that I got when I was 15 or so. I'd like a "better" amp but I don't know a thing about them, since I've never actually bought one at a store (I traded a guitar for this thing). I've been to a couple stores and they seem to have a zillion guitar amps, or ones the size of a fridge, but since I've got little kids at home and I'm not playing out or anything I don't need an amp that costs more than my car did (or one as big as it either). My current amp is starting to make a lot of noise, and it blew the fuse the last time I unplugged it so I think it might be time to retire it. I just don't know where to start as far as what to look for. I just want something that will sound good, be reasonably affordable and hopefully last as long as my Marlin did. (That thing got dropped multiple times, got fluids spilled on it, shot with a BB gun (by a girlfriend aiming at my buddy) etc.
Thank you, guys.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: Really stupid amp Q (not trolling!)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:32:09 AM »
If you're just going to be playing at home, then take your bass and a cable (and maybe a pair of headphones) and hit a few pawn shops.
They always seem to have an abundance of small-medium sized (60-180W) combo amps that you can try out.
In my opinion, there are a few brands that I always stay away from in the combo-amp world. It's just my opinion, but Crate, Behringer, Gorilla, and anything unfamiliar is a sign for me to stay away.  You may also want something portable - no need to get a 100lb. Peavey combo if one of the newer GK lightweight combos will fit the bill for you.

Pawn shopping is kind of risky because some folks try and sell there as soon as a problem arises.  Some Pawn Shops have 30-day return policies on instruments and electronics. I'd ask about that, if you go this route.

Turn all the Gain/Volume to "0" before you power up and listen for any popping or funny noises when you hit the switch.
Try all the Inputs/Outputs and since you brought your own cable, you know its good - make sure that the Input Jack(s) are good on the amp.  Give em a nudge and see if the amp barks at you.

I'd make sure that it had a headphone jack and Line Input (for an external source like an MP3 player, CD, etc.) so you can play privately if everyone is sleeping. Check and make sure it has an EQ section (Bass, Mid, Treb at a minimum).

I had an SWR 60W Combo a few years back, which was really a cool and it had all sorts of great features. Warm tone and easy to move around, but not the loudest amp in the world.  Traynor/Yorkville make some great combo-amps with gobs of power and features.

Even if you don't buy one at a PS, at least you'll have an opportunity to play through a few used ones.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:47:17 AM by ack1961 »
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 06:38:39 AM »
I'd stick with a brand name known for their bass amps: GK, Ampeg, SWR, Peavey come to mind for affordable small combos.  Even Fender and Carvin make some nice little rigs these days.  Don't be afraid of light weight.  Technology has come a long way so light doesn't necessarily equal cheap anymore.  My personal preference is to buy new for combos and cabs.  I've seen how some people treat their stuff and I don't want any part of their self inflicted problems.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
I had an Ibanez SW35 for a while - it had a kickback, stereo aux inputs to connect a CD player or iPod, and it was compact.  Not the strongest amp for low end at 35W with a 10" speaker, but a very suitable practice amp which was portable at about 35 pounds.   Ibanez isn't known for amps, but if you happen upon one for $60 or so it's well worth a look.

Mine was replaced by a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0/12T combo which weighed the same but is a fully capable performance combo.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
GK has really come out with some great combos and their new series is really a deal price and quality wise. Ampeg and Acoustic have quite a variety as well. Ampeg is not the company they were but still a contender on some level. Obviously best thing to do is go into some music stores with your bass and sit down and compare. They aslo have some return and 30 day guarantees/exchanges which you should establish at the time of purchase. As mentioned I don't recommend (in your case) a hock shop or used stuff because if anything is not quite right you will end up having to bring in for a repair and that runs you up financially.Best of luck on this and keep us posted.
We always liKe to hear about what you chose and why.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
Thanks guys! There's a huge pawn shop right by work that I can hit up to at least get started. There's a music store relatively close to me but everything bass-related there is bigger than a dishwasher or more than $500 unless they have the "small" stuff in the back. Not that I need a reason to make a music-store tour.  ;D
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »
Can't hurt to drop by and check.  Most places will guarantee your purchase for a few days, so if you buy something, just take it home and exercise it thoroughly.  I've had good luck with pawn shop stuff.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:16:30 AM »
IMHO:
The Ampeg BA112 is the perfect small bass amp. Most important, it sounds like a "real" Ampeg, with the 5-position "style" switch. It tilts back, is relatively light and compact, and is loud enough for you to play with others in a low-volume environment. It also has RCA input jacks to hook up an iPod or CD player, and line out / headphone jacks for recording or silent practice. It's also affordable - I picked mine up used for $100. If you have a choice, get a US-built model, but the imported version is generally dependable as well. Other than volume limitations for gigging, I can't think of a bad thing to say about it.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
Be aware that most new bass amps, especially combos, are built so cheaply that they are unserviceable. Hit the pawn and music shops looking for stuff that's old and still running. If it breaks; it usually can be fixed relatively easily. The same cannot be said for most new gear. Several formerly respectable brands now make their "bread and butter" lines to be disposbale commodities: IOW, they die right about the time the warranty runs out and in most cases, even service centers can't get parts because they are all produced in contract runs in Asian factories. By the time a new bass amp croaks, the factory that made it literally might be manufacturing toasters. The same disease hit consumer electronics 20 years ago.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »
I hit up the pawn shop today. They didn't have any bass amps. Tons of GUITAR ones, but all the cheap-O ones to avoid. Plus some decent looking ones, but they either didn't work or looked like they fell out of the band van or something. There is this "classified ad" thing where I work, and lo and behold, someone on there was selling a "Peavey Max 126" practice amp (and a Squier bass). I checked it out and it's like 1/3 smaller than my present amp, is easily twice as loud and sounds better. Plus they only wanted $35. How can I go wrong? I will check out the music store by me to see if they have or can get the Ampeg 112 (they have tons of other ones, but I don't need a $1K amp the size of a dishwasher) but in the mean time, this thing actually works great for my needs. Even if it craps out in a year... although my Hohner doesn't feel any better constructed and that thing is 20 years old and is just starting to die...
Oh yeah, pix:

Thanks for the recommendations

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »
The Max 126 was a decent little practice amp, at least the old US-made ones were. Don't know about the newer import versions. It won't develop much low end with that speaker, but it works. For that little money you can play it 'til you find a bigger one.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 06:38:52 AM »
I have a Max 126...don't know where it was made, but I suspect China.  I love it. Sounds ok through the speaker.  Sounds killer through headphones.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
I didn't think to see where it was made. I'll check it out when I'm home again. I can say it sounds pretty good, much better than my old amp (I think the speaker was blown, it sounds all "farty" and kind of buzzy when it works) and it's louder too. My guitar sounds nice thru it too. I wanted to try it thru headphones but I can't find my adapter thingy to go from the mini plug on the 'phones to the bigger jack on the amp. I think the kids may have been playing with it again...I do come home and find the cord tied around their horse thing all the time. :)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
For $35 you did great!!  Enjoy it!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 02:22:33 AM »
Hey it has chickenheads and a small picture of a tube, so it must kick ass! :D Nice buy, peaveys are built tough and have nice sound.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.