Main Forums > The Bass Zone

About Face

<< < (6/7) > >>

slinkp:
Nobody ever has to apologize for preferring Bernard Edwards to (insert bassist here)!  That guy was top tier in my book, and it could be argued with the periodic resurgence of Chic-influenced and/or Nile Rodgers-produced pop music that his influence now spans generations of funk/pop bassists.

Pretty good breakdown of pick-vs-fingers history, too, Uwe, I think that's a pretty common experience.

Dave W:
Funny, I have to be more focused on my right hand when using a pick.

patman:
That goes away with practice and familiarity

uwe:
Right, same with me when I play with fingers. But once you have settled for either the light or the dark side, it all falls into place and you don't worry about your strumming hand too much anymore. I have become more nimble over the decades with my right hand (though there are still plenty of ultrafast runs that don't come easy for me) and I play with a much lighter touch - the way Uwe dug in, say, 30 years ago, he'd laugh about the "feather touch" of Uwe today. At the same time, my fretting hand has become much stronger and forceful and - nothing conscious - I almost constantly do finger vibrato or bend notes.

Pilgrim:
Probably because I learned on upright, I'm still trying to learn to use a pick - at all. I can do it but with no speed and marginal accuracy. And adding vibrato is second nature on slow tunes, as it's practically a reflex.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version