Author Topic: An acquired taste ...  (Read 4199 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
An acquired taste ...
« on: May 05, 2009, 07:58:26 AM »
"The result is a unique multi-dimensional look that reveals the beauty of the instrument’s finish while emphasizing historic Gibson style."

:rolleyes:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/matchbox-twenty-bassist-427/

"Brian Yale was 13 when he had his first bass lesson — on a one-pickup Gibson SG-shaped EB-0. Late last year the bassist for mega-pop heroes Matchbox Twenty had a happy reunion.

“When the band stays in L.A., we’re two blocks from the Gibson Showroom,” he says. “I was always walking by, and one day I decided to stop in and I saw all these beautiful guitars, and I started purchasing a bunch of them.”

He started with a Custom Shop SG Standard Reissue VOS (Vintage Original Spec) and went from there. “I have an extensive instrument collection,” the one-time high-school band trumpeter explains, “because I believe that anything that inspires you to get excited about picking it up and playing music is worthwhile.”

Although Yale’s known for using high-tech basses during Matchbox Twenty’s 14-year career, on hits like “Bent,” “If You’re Gone,” “Unwell” and “How Far We’ve Come,” it didn’t take long for the historic lure of the classic Gibson look and sound to hit home for him.

“I bought the reissue SG Standard Bass,” Yale said. “It brought things full circle for me.” Not only to the shape of the first bass he held, but to the sounds of the classic rock he grew up on as a kid listening to radio in Connecticut during the ’80s. “The Beatles, the Doors, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Yes … that was what I was hearing before I was playing in bands, and what got me interested in playing rock and roll,” Yale says.

One of his favorite bass sounds belongs to Jefferson Airplane’s Jack Casady. “I’ve aimed for that big, flat-wound, heavy thudding sound on bass for a lot of my career, but,” Yale relates, “I’ve never owned a semi-hollow body.”

That changed when he added Epiphone’s Jack Casady signature model to his arsenal. The instrument’s special JCB-1 low-impedance pickups zero right in on that warm, natural tone.

But Yale’s current pride and joy is his Gibson USA sunburst Thunderbird IV, which he’s given some extra love.

“I’ve made some modifications to that bass to really make it mine,” he relates, “and it plays great and look beautiful.

“When I got it in December, I took off the pickguard to get a look at the kind of cavity that was underneath. I was surprised how pretty the lower horn that it covers looked in the sunburst. I wanted to bring more of that out. Plus, I wanted to replace the white pick guard, because they can be too distracting. A white pickguard brings your eyes right to it. All of my instruments have black pickguards.”

Except, now, for that T-bird. Yale contacted Gibson to request a clutch of vintage style pickguards, in black with a gold Thunderbird logo etched into their surface. He and a friend cut out the logo using a contour similar to the shape of the full-sized pickguard, and then set the golden bird beneath a clear acrylic pickguard replacement for the instrument’s original white guard. The result is a unique multi-dimensional look that reveals the beauty of the instrument’s finish while emphasizing historic Gibson style.

Yale also replaced the tuning pegs on his Thunderbird and his SG model with Hipshot Ultralights, which required filling in the SG peg holes a bit. “That reduced the weight of the headstocks, which improved the overall balance of the basses for me,” he says. Both instruments also got GB-7 Bass Xtenders, so they can be put in dropped D tuning with the flip of a switch.

“I’ve used dropped D on every album we’ve recorded,” Yale says. “I will play five-string, but I’m a devoted four-string bass player, so that’s how I lower my bottom string. D is a popular key for our singer, so I’ve recorded many, many songs in dropped D.”

Yale has yet to take his Thunderbird, SG and Jack Casady Epiphone basses into the studio, but he’s putting them through their paces while Matchbox Twenty is on hiatus.

“My plan is to go old-school with these instruments on our next recordings,” he says.

As part of that effort, he’s also worked on his plectrum style. “I’ve never played with a pick on any of our albums, and I’m using a pick with the Thunderbird especially,” Yale says. “It’s giving me a tone I’ve never used. That sound is what enamored me recently about Kings of Leon. Jared Followill uses a pick with his Thunderbird bass.”

Yale’s discovered that while using a pick he can sing harmonies, which he’d never been able to do while finger-picking his bass. “I don’t know why, but it’s much easier,” he allows, “so now I can sing harmony when the band plays live.”

So what’s next on his Gibson wish list?

“I’ve got a Gibson A-9 mandolin coming in the mail,” he says excitedly. “I’ve been playing mandolin for the last six months. On the last album mandolin was featured more prominently, and it’s on a few singles. When I work on new instruments — I’ve also been playing lap steel and acoustic guitar lately — I learn parts from our songs so I can perform them with the band. So my goal is to learn those mandolin parts well enough to play them live.”

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:06:22 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: An acquired taste ...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:41:41 AM »
Well, it certainly doesn't look as generic as their music sounds, but that is by far the fugliest pick guard mod I've seen on a Thunderbird. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:38:07 AM »
Truer words have not been spoken ... Looks like some - untalented - 5-year-old did it in pre-school.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:56:55 AM »

Some people's taste is all in their mouth.............
or up some other un-named orifice.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »
That's not an acquired taste, that's pure BAD taste.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »
If we all stay real quiet :-X :-X :-X, maybe it will just pass and there will be no signature model?!  :-\

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
He started with a Custom Shop SG Standard Reissue VOS (Vintage Original Spec)

Somebody please explain to me how you can have "vintage original" specs of a bass that never existed until its "reissue."

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »
i think that pickguard looks horrible.
Louder bass!.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »

“I have an extensive instrument collection,” the one-time high-school band trumpeter explains, “because I believe that anything that inspires you to get excited about picking it up and playing music is worthwhile.”

Who can argue with logic like that? Got to save that one for the missus.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »
 :puke:

At least I have some taste...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »
I was almost going to say that is just short of a terrorist act but in actuality that is just plain stupid looking. Now we also have to remember the line between style and sleaze can be thin at times and the art is therein but this guy left it where it fell somewhere.
I will say this: i have seen some clear pickguards on some instruments that actually works. This guy perhaps should have just the etched in gold Thunderboid loogo on the clear pickguard to have any redeeming qualities. The quality of the cler pickguard is also of utmost importance.It should be scratchfree. That would be about $350.00 with etching. 

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »
FUGLY!

Here's an idea - CALL GIBSON AND ASK FOR CLEAR GUARD TO BE MADE!  ;D

Or, perhaps, order a Bird and just ask that they leave the guard off?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 08:59:03 PM »
At least the fix for this one is simply a new PG.
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
A black guard's an idea, a clear one won't work because of the routing underneath.

Well, he has some nice basses, but he has to be punished because of that guard. Well let's invite him over here and let's ask Ken to write a story about squirrels he HAS to read as punishment.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 04:30:13 AM »
It's a Blunderbird now. hahaa