Author Topic: Recipe for German Cuisine  (Read 825 times)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Recipe for German Cuisine
« on: May 05, 2009, 06:53:24 AM »
What better place to ask about food then the Outpost Cafe? A friend of mine spent many years in Gremany. The other day he was going on about this German dish made from square noodles with bacon and vinegar. Sounds like German Potato Salad except with noodles instead of potatoes. He called it kurshtaclevan. I'm guessing his spelling is all wrong, in a half hour of searching I found nothing similar. I hope one of our European friends can shed some light on this noodle dish. Thanks in advance.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe for German Cuisine
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:45:29 AM »
 "kurshtaclevan" ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? I didn't know that the Mongolian influence was that noticeable with us ...

This here?

http://www.nibbledish.com/people/dosdne/recipes/swabian-maultaschen
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:51:37 AM »
"kurshtaclevan" ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? I didn't know that the Mongolian influence was that noticeable with us ...

This here?

http://www.nibbledish.com/people/dosdne/recipes/swabian-maultaschen

Or this here? A  (very) sloppy pronounciation of "Wurstsalat" might lead to some sounds akin to "kurshtaclevan" ...  :mrgreen:

http://germanfood.about.com/od/saladsandsides/r/wurstsalat.htm
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »
I just remembered that this is the guy who pronounces Afghanistan "Afgafistan". He said something about having it at a train station, or close to one.

So I just called him. He says he called it knoodles, and was available at most any guest house. He was all over Germany, but did mention Bavaria.

The Swabian Maultaschen sounds good, but there is no vinegar in it. I see the recipe for Swabian Potato Salad does have vinegar.

And Uwe, I thought you would have the answer right off the top of your head, without having to search. Thanks for the info. I'm going to have bratwurst for lunch.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 03:57:23 PM »
Excuse me waiter, is there a vegetarian special on the menu today, or can you do the salad without the bacon...?  ;D

Bitte...?

Not only the "Bass-Meister", but now Uwe's "Katering Korner"...  ;)

Roshina was happy with what she found when she was in the "Fatherland" - only complaint was being overloaded with Karbs... fun and games we have when travelling abroad (which is why we don't, as a rule) is the "ingredients minefield" - the difficulty I have with going vegan would be cheese, which my daughter has a problem with being in the same room as a nice bit of ripe Stilton...  :puke:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...