Author Topic: Groove Tubes factory closes  (Read 4919 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Groove Tubes factory closes
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:25:16 PM »
Somehow I missed this one -- Fender bought out Groove Tubes in June. They've now moved all operations to Fender facilities, and last week the factory and warehouse in San Fernando held a liquidation sale. Here's the story.

I don't think they manufactured much there anymore. AFAIK most of their tubes are Chinese, they were tested and matched in California.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Groove Tubes factory closes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »
Groove Tubes NEVER made tubes, regardless of what they may have claimed through implication. All this amounts to is a sell off of matching equipment and inventory.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »
Groove Tubes NEVER made tubes, regardless of what they may have claimed through implication. All this amounts to is a sell off of matching equipment and inventory.

This is what I have heard from many sources over the years. I just didn't want to be the one who said it, because everytime I open my mouth about this, someone gets all pissed off about it. So, thanks Psycho Bass Guy, now they can get pissed off at both of us ;D

Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:45:25 PM »
Yeah, that's what I've heard for years. If they were actually producing vaccum tubes from raw material  in-house, with American labor costs and California pollution control costs, their tubes would be a lot more expensive.

Still, you can't brand something as assembled in USA unless it is. If they were deceiving anyone, you would think the FTC would have caught them long ago.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 12:05:10 AM »
If they were actually producing vaccum tubes from raw material  in-house, with American labor costs and California pollution control costs, their tubes would be a lot more expensive.

Tube manufacture is nowhere near the level of toxicity to the environment that transistor manufacture is, and the world's largest transistor manufacturers are in California. Tube-making being environmentally disastrous is just another oft-repeated myth.

Still, you can't brand something as assembled in USA unless it is.

They never claimed the tubes were assembled in the US, just that the company was out of Slymar, CA. Most people mistook that for a US-made claim, and they never corrected it on purpose, even going so far as to claim their last line of Chinese 6L6's and 6CA7's were "over 90% US content" because they bought the plate material from Richardson Electronics' liquidation of the old GE/Ken-Rad plant in Owensboro, KY, never mentioning the tubes were actually made in China.

If they were deceiving anyone, you would think the FTC would have caught them long ago.

What they did was not exactly legal, but they're so small potatoes that the FTC didn't care.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 04:34:16 PM »
I remember buying a set for an SVT somewhere around 1992-93 and their best ones were GE's which they had matched, I remember them recommending against Chinese tubes for SVT's. They did sound good but for some reason lasted less than a year. I've had Russian tubes in both my heads now for over 5 years that I bought second hand on ebay (funds were low at that time) and they still sound great.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
Ahh Tubes......   How long is this piece of string?   I have a couple of favourite NOS and vintage tubes that I use as standards to which all else must measure up. Recently I was putting together a Head for a guy using the power amp out of an old 70's Yamaha bass amp and a new SM Audio Tube preamp. (Budget job but sounds great). I opened the pre up to check out what tubes it had in it an saw a Chinese one. I got my Telefunken NOS 12AX7 (ribbed) and tried that, then a vintage RCA Black Plate and finally a vintage Tung Sol grey plate. I was surprised at how close the Chinese special came to the Tung Sol in tone.
To be honest I was a bit shocked. It certainly left the JJ ECC803S that I tried next for dead tone wise.

I wouldn't expect it to get 10,000 hours like a Mil spec Russian or a Telefunken but it was great to hear that some of the new tubes are finally starting to hit the mark tonally.
Digresion our specialty!

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 07:11:35 PM »
arrgh i just bought a jj ecc803s to put in the first position of my ampeg bass preamp.what sort of chinese tube was it?golden dragon?thats whats in there at the moment.
Louder bass!.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »
I may be the only person here who owns TWO fully functional tube testers - one full size and one small portable.  In my BF bassman I'm using tubes I've had since the 60's.  So far I've only had to replace one.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »
I may be the only person here who owns TWO fully functional tube testers - one full size and one small portable.  In my BF bassman I'm using tubes I've had since the 60's.  So far I've only had to replace one.

I have a nice old one, a Hickok 533A mutual conductance tester.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »
arrgh i just bought a jj ecc803s to put in the first position of my ampeg bass preamp.what sort of chinese tube was it?golden dragon?thats whats in there at the moment.

There was no label on it Tubehead but I havent seen a Modern European tube that looked like this and based on my own experience/guesswork I'm pretty sure its a Chinese tube. I can take a pic of it if you like. Mind you I have tried Chinese tubes that look exactly the same that sounded brittle and hollow so I'm not sure if that really helps at all.

The JJ 803S is still quite a respectable tube, richer and more musical sounding than the 83S IMHO.  I would recommend the new (Russian)Tung Sol 12AX7 over the JJ's though if you are keeping with modern tubes.
Digresion our specialty!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 05:56:31 AM »

The JJ 803S is still quite a respectable tube, richer and more musical sounding than the 83S IMHO. 

Are you saying the JJ ECC803S is richer and more musical sounding than the JJ ECC83S? The JJ ECC83S has been my preamp tube of choice for quite some time,  but I made that chouce before I was aware that the 803s existed. I may want to try them.

And for what it's worth, I am pretty sure the GT ECC83S is a re-labled JJ ECC83S.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 06:43:32 AM »
I am saying that Mojo. But remember that is in my rig with my basses and my playing and playing mostly Classic rock/ blues. They are cheap so buy one and try it. I would love to hear your opinion.

I do prefer the modern Tung Sols over either of the JJ's though.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
Some spare tubes, sort of...

Still trying to figure out what some of them are...

err... don't ask about that 1968 Marshall smallbox, which is not my fault, and is due to be repaired...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »
Hey, just in case....

I actually have TWO fully functional tube testing machines in my basement.  If anyone here ever needs some tubes tested, I'll be glad to test them for you.  Just come up with safe packaging and pay the return shipping.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."