Author Topic: Please recommend me Thunderbird replacement pickups  (Read 18879 times)

Andrew

• View Profile
Re: Please recommend me Thunderbird replacement pickups
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »

FWIW it is my favorite but i am a fender guy

I'm a Fender guy too, by default if nothing else.   ;)

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
Epi Pro IV: pups, bridge and bling from ThunderBucker Ranch.

Did this bass come stock with a two piece bridge? Can the two piece bridge be used on modern Thunderbirds without leaving holes behind?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »
Did this bass come stock with a two piece bridge? Can the two piece bridge be used on modern Thunderbirds without leaving holes behind?

Bridge was designed by me and made by Steve at ThunderBucker Ranch.  It doesn't cover the holes left by a 3 point.

...speaking of '63 Thunderbucker pickups, here's a set in a $200 Squier Jaguar bass

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 07:08:19 AM »
Bridge was designed by me and made by Steve at ThunderBucker Ranch. 

Could you please enlighten when these will be available for sale?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
Could you please enlighten when these will be available for sale?

I'll check.  BTW I found out this morning the bridge uses the original large 3 point studs and anchors.  I didn't design it that way, it's just how it worked out.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
Mark, you recommend the Lulls, ja? Do they fit a Bicentennial too? My 86 TB II Japan only mini series bass (the one I got from George) is nearing the end of its days pickupwise (that particular Bicentennial sidewinder was never strong to begin with, weaker than my 76 Bicentennial certainly and that is not particularly strong either). The loss of volume is dramatic (comparable to a Triumph now in low impedance mode) though it does have the charm of making that bass sound sharper and clearer - P-Bassish in fact - than any other TBird I own, including the Blackbird. But the end is nearing I believe. I'll have the sidewinder rewound probably (or remagnetized?) but that is going to change its sound for sure so I might just as well try a Lull.

Repairing pups that still work, but are in a state of deterioration is tricky. I once had a Junior EB-0 (from Dave) with obviously a broken pup, it was all honkish, out-of-phasish and sounded different to any other mudbucker I had, lovely! Eventually it fell out completely and was rewired and now my 61 EB-0 sounds authentic, i.e. like any other mudbucking bass of the era. Duh!  :-\
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:30:07 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »

Uwe, I really like my basses that have Lull pickups in them a lot, my '89, since it's conversion has never sounded better! I realize your talented luthier could easily change them out there in Ze fatherland, if however it need to make a trip to Lulls for the work I'm happy to be any help.

There are of course several vids of me and the band that would give you a good idea of the tone.  :)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 04:47:35 AM »

One fundamental question, and of kourse vee haff ze vays to make you talk:

WILL ZE LULL DROP IN A BICENTENNIAL NECK PUP CAVITY WITHOUT ANY ROUTING AND WILL ZE ORIGINAL COCK PUP RING STILL BE INSTALLABLE?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:18:10 AM by uwe »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 12:29:19 PM »

One fundamental question, and of kourse vee haff ze vays to make you talk:

WILL ZE LULL DROP IN A BICENTENNIAL NECK PUP CAVITY WITHOUT ANY ROUTING AND WILL ZE ORIGINAL COCK PUP RING STILL BE INSTALLABLE?

I readily submit to your interogation!..........Some cuffs would have been nice tho  ;D

Yes, IIRC they should just drop in, the one thing that's different is the mounting. 76's having some funky chassis to sit in. '60s are of course much thinner and will need a shim - Clint used some hard foam, I've used that and mahogany blocks. Pretty simple stuff.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2013, 12:37:44 PM »
Cuffs and hard foam? Are we talking about the handcuffed priest from Illinois again?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »

Germans.............They just have a way with me  ;)

Happy to help on this if you need anything Uwe, I know they're getting ready for NAMM, an email to Paul Schuster the shop manager should be a good place to start tho.
BTW has the Epi arrived?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »
Something has arrived (I was just notified today), don't know whether it is the Epi or the G-3 or both.  I have a Customs Declaration from you here dated 12/28/2012, was that just the Epi or both?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »

It's the Epi, I'm quite fond of the G-3 - Will reluctantly post this coming week.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
You are a sinful, bad, bad girl, Frau Professor and you know it!  You can't really put "temptation" and "resist" in one sentence, can you?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seattle stay of the G-3 is herewith extended while you get me a Lull and send that with (let me know how much it costs so I can transfer). Are all Lulls created equal irrespective of neck or bridge position? I need a neck one.