Author Topic: Gibson SB350 Bass  (Read 8866 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Digresion our specialty!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson SB350 Bass
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:46:55 PM »
isn't that an SB400 ?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:09:08 AM »
Oooh~ mighty purty!  8)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:52:39 AM »
It's an SB 350 alright, the SB 400 was the long scale version of the predecessor model SB-300 and this model's long scale version would be an SB 450.

I like SBs and have waved their flag in the past, being much maligned for my selfless campaign by certain unnamed quarters here, but the SB 350 is probably the least desireable one of all four. The position of the bridge pup is so close to the bridge, there is not much sound coming from it, especially on the higher strings. An SB 300 doesn't have that issue as its two pups are much more to the middle and the neck and the SB 450 has the pups in the same place, but the bridge farther back due to the long scale measurement so there is more sound to pick up.

If you buy these just be aware that they sound nothing like a mudbuckin' EB, but are much more in the Ripper vein of things though, remarkably so for a budget line, those SB 350/450 pups have more bite and output than Ripper pups do.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

barend

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:43:23 AM »
What does SB stand for?

and EB? (I guess electric bass?)

and SG?

just wandering

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:11:39 AM »
solid guitar for SG, solid bass for SB
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 05:56:54 AM »
If you buy these just be aware that they sound nothing like a mudbuckin' EB,
but are much more in the Ripper vein of things though, remarkably so for a budget line, those SB 350/450 pups have more bite and output than Ripper pups do.

Yeah it is true these are no EBs... but then other than an SG shape, nothing is the same. Maple neck, a non-mahogany body (definately some were alder, and I am not 100% sure what woods were used in the SB300 and 400 bodies, the only formal descriptions I have seen don't mention body wood)

I don't know what wood makes the body of my SB400, i'm guessing alder - (if anyone wants to look at grain patterns and tell me, i'll post some pics)

And yes, the pickups don't have EB thunder/mud either. According to the '71 parts list the SB300/400 pickups are the same single coil units that appeared in the SG100, 200 and 350 and ES320 guitars. Of course the 350/450 were upgraded to humbuckers, an improvement in my opinion, but I have to say I would chose a Ripper any day over any of the SB series, as none can offer the same level of bassiness that the Ripper offers. How much of that is the solid maple all round and how much is down to pickups and choke etc I don't know.

jules
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 06:37:13 AM by EvilLordJuju »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 07:49:30 AM »

I like SBs and have waved their flag in the past, being much maligned for my selfless campaign by certain unnamed quarters here, but the SB 350 is probably the least desireable one of all four. The position of the bridge pup is so close to the bridge, there is not much sound coming from it, especially on the higher strings. An SB 300 doesn't have that issue as its two pups are much more to the middle and the neck and the SB 450 has the pups in the same place, but the bridge farther back due to the long scale measurement so there is more sound to pick up.

I can't imagine who might have maligned them.  :P

If you like lifeless-sounding basses, the SB should be right up your alley.  :P :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 08:17:31 AM »
Yeah it is true these are no EBs... but then other than an SG shape, nothing is the same. Maple neck, a non-mahogany body (definately some were alder, and I am not 100% sure what woods were used in the SB300 and 400 bodies, the only formal descriptions I have seen don't mention body wood)

I don't know what wood makes the body of my SB400, i'm guessing alder - (if anyone wants to look at grain patterns and tell me, i'll post some pics)

And yes, the pickups don't have EB thunder/mud either. According to the '71 parts list the SB300/400 pickups are the same single coil units that appeared in the SG100, 200 and 350 and ES320 guitars. Of course the 350/450 were upgraded to humbuckers, an improvement in my opinion, but I have to say I would chose a Ripper any day over any of the SB series, as none can offer the same level of bassiness that the Ripper offers. How much of that is the solid maple all round and how much is down to pickups and choke etc I don't know.

jules

A Ripper has certainly more fundamental authority, but that is down to the wood and set neck construction as well as the overall size of the beast. A "V"-Bass, though equpped with the same pups, has none of the fundamental authority of a Ripper. And the SB series with its smallish SG body doesn't stand a chance against the body mass of Ripper. That said, you're still likely to hear an SB better in the mix than a Ripper.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 08:20:27 AM »
That said, you're still likely to hear an SB better in the mix than a Ripper.

If you're playing a dirge, probably so. Fits right in with the SB sound.  :P :P :P

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 05:49:36 PM »
anyone care to have a stab at speculating on a value?
Digresion our specialty!

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 06:52:55 PM »
anyone care to have a stab at speculating on a value?

Thats tricky. looks in good condition, but in todays financial climate....

and the Australian dollar is doing badly too IIRC - bad enough to have any effect?

What currency do you want my guess in?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 03:26:56 AM »
They are not collectible and were a budget instrument right from the start. But despite Dave's repeated allegations (based on what must have been andecdotal evidence only!) you can get a sensible bass sound out of them, especially with flats and a pick. They click nicely and with authority. I don't see why a set neck SG shape bass with alder body and maple neck should automatically sound "deader" than an all maho EB with a pup (or a maho body one with a maple neck) that only picks up the bottom quarter of the frequency spectrum anyway. At the end of the day this is a Ripper in SG's clothing; Rippers don't sound dead their defenders always claim here! My SB 350 certainly beats my "V"-Bass in sound if not in looks, value and collectibility.

This one looks in good condition. 400-600 US-Dollars. If it were any other SB Type (300, 400 or 450) bit more perhaps.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:12:47 AM by uwe »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 04:38:15 AM »
I like the idea of a short scale Ripper in a SG clothing. Bridge pickup? I never use them anyway, don't like that nasal Jacoesque tone. I'd probably pay $400 to try one out but he only ships to Australia.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 05:58:49 AM »
They are not collectible

says the man that kollected all 4 variations  :mrgreen: