Author Topic: Get it while it's hot - Epiphone Newport alert  (Read 4770 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Get it while it's hot - Epiphone Newport alert
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 08:41:41 PM »

Sweet Bass!  :thumbsup:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 11:36:30 PM »
A Marshall Grant number? Are you getting lazy?
What a beauty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 02:47:51 AM »
Can anybody explain to me what a "Marshall Grant number" means? As long as it is unrelated to anal sex I'd like to know.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 04:36:13 AM »
You already know everything about the Dark recesses of the abyss?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 04:36:19 AM »
Can anybody explain to me what a "Marshall Grant number" means? As long as it is unrelated to anal sex I'd like to know.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Marshall Grant was Johnny Cash's bass player who had the black Epiphone Newport back in the '60s.  It's the one on the cover of Live at San Quentin, as I recall.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

rockinrayduke

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 06:32:05 AM »
Thass right.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2008, 08:17:46 AM »
Marshall played the opposite to busy bass. Most of the time it was dump-dump, dump-dump... On the other hand, it was what was needed in that simple  but effective music of Johnny Cash. Just listen to Luther Perkins on the guitar; he played the same thing, only lifted the second tone one octave. Economics, those guys. Today they would be natural aspirers for any finance department in the western world.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »

To quote somebody  else.................Ask me, I here to help.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 04:08:38 AM »
Thanks, now I do remember. Grant was originally a country doublebass player, basically he did not change that economic and reduced style when he switched to the Newport especially given his boss' penchant to play bass lines on the guitar.

nofi

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2008, 04:37:56 AM »
speaking of cash and prison i read this on a review of his box set. on the live at folsom prison album there is a well known line where the whole place erupts after cash sings, ' i shot a man in reno just to watch him die'. turns out the thunderous applause and hollering were  spliced in after the fact in the studio. never happened. :o 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 11:31:16 AM by nofi »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 07:41:48 AM »
speaking of cash and prison i read this on a review of his box set. on the live at folsom prison album there is a well known line where the whole place erupts after cash sings, ' i shoot a man in reno just to watch him die'. turns out the thunderous applause and hollering were  spliced in after the fact in the studio. never happened. :o

That probably happens more often than we know.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2008, 08:26:39 AM »
Just like THE live album of the late seventies, Frampton Comes Alive (every household had one), features audience applause from a Grand Funk Railroad gig, probably even from their first Live album.

Or how two of the tracks of UFO's famous Strangers in the Night were recorded weeks later in the studio (though "live" there) and then adorned with audience noise by producer Ron Nevison who is to this day proud of the fact that he matched their live sound so closely.

Next thing we know, Elvis didn't laugh on those live recordings either ... Which track was it again? "Are you lonesome tonight?"?

During those Cash prison concerts, security was tough. Had the inmates cheered at Cash singing about the murder of another guy, I'm sure the authorities would have threatend to pull the gig (and prompted a riot!).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 10:44:34 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »
The earliest example I can think of is The Premiers' "Farmer John" from 1964. All those party sounds were added later to make it sound live.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »
Well, I took it out tonight to our gig.  We did a benefit show - only 2 sets, so I thought it would be fun.  I also brought the Magnatone.  Little did I know that we were playing outdoors, and the temp got down in the 40's.  Yikes!  The Epi was everything I expected.  Mud everywhere, so I had to tweak my amp.  The neck on this one has definitely been shaved down, so it's a fun bass to play.  I'll need to work on the intonation, but I'm sure it looked cool under the lights with my white shirt and denim jacket.  I may have pics tomorrow.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty