Author Topic: Best flatwound strings for a 69 EB-3?  (Read 3435 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
Best flatwound strings for a 69 EB-3?
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:17 PM »
I've tried Labella light gauge flats on it and they are too tight and bend the neck, I just ordered some D'Addario chromes for it which I really like but they only come in one gauge for short scale basses, the tensions are listed and the highest is approx 40 lbs. on the D string. Has anyone used these on Gibson short scale basses or does anyone know some good light flatwounds for EB-3's? How about the really light Labellas? I don't really like TI's that much (very middy sounding at least to me) and they don't make a SS set anyway only medium scale AFAIK.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Best flatwound strings for a 69 EB-3?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:29:22 PM »
Bob, it's been 10 years since I sold my short scale 62 EB-0F but I used GHS Precision Flats. The shortscales only come in one gauge and it's extra light, something like 40-95, but it worked well, they sounded good and they weren't all wormy feeling like the TIs. Plus they had highs and lows, they weren't all midrange likeTIs.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:55:58 AM »
I was a diehard user of GHS Brite Flats for years.  The only reason I switched was because they didn't come in the gauges I was used to.  I'm now partial to the TI Flats, but I've also liked the Chromes when I had them on the L-1000.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »
I got the Chromes on it and they sound very good as usual but are still a little tight, they're .100-.045 and these are the regular light gauge. I may just try the GHS Precision Flats, I've never tried them. I never owned an EB-3 back in the days there were a lot of them around but I had played them and what struck me about them was the incredible light feel of them. I could play faster on them than any other bass, I miss that feel now and haven't been able to find it. I'll report back.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 08:42:22 PM »
Well finally got the GHS 95-45 gauge flatwounds Dave mentioned, they're are great strings and light like this bass needs, got the old feel that I remember.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »
Plunking down more than $20 for strings you never heard is always a gamble, but I figured you might like them.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 12:07:15 AM »
Surprisingly this reply has got Ginson content. Wait and see! ;)

I read a lot of positive things about flats here and at the ole Pit. I serieously tried them. I put a set of d'Addario Chromes on my Bicentennial and the sound just died. Basvarkern heard it. I also used them on a CIJ P and it was alright, but not that good.

A year ago I bought a limited edition Burns Shadows Bass, which has a Chinese routed body, but it's assembled in the UK with UK parts. A great bass. It comes standard with Chromes and it's a nice bass with them. I called the owner of Burns UK who's a luthier himself: Barry Gibson :) He told me the thought the Shadows Bass sounds best with Chromes so I kept it that way. But I didn't use it often...

A couple of weeks ago I mounted some normal d'Addario rounds... And gee! The bass came to life! It was not more than a nice sounding bass, but now it has thunderous lows, zingy highs, enough midrange, and the sound reacts more on the different pick up configurations. Last couple of weeks I only play that bass!! I mailed mr. Gibson and he was happy to hear about this nice result.

So no flats for me again!   

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 03:02:22 AM »
I use TI Jazz flats on most of my basses and they are great.  Their 32" short scale models are their shortest and fit most short scales just fine.  Very low tension, the lowest on the market and I love the sound.  I also use their Jazz rounds on my TBs and they are very low tension and have a great clear round sound and are very small wraps, so they are easy on the fingers.  They cost a few dollars more, but seem to last forever.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 04:10:03 AM »
I like the combination of flats and a pick, that "plonk" attack and then the sound mellows out. If I were a finger player though, I'm not sure I'd use them much.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 04:51:32 AM »
I like the combination of flats and a pick, that "plonk" attack and then the sound mellows out. If I were a finger player though, I'm not sure I'd use them much.

There's a definite thump and subtleness to TI flats when played with fingers, but I like the sound and I can get enough clarity out of them with the EQ on my Mesa to keep the bass obvious when playing with the band.  Even better, if you like your bass right out there, the TI Jazz Rounds are great.  You can bend them all day and they put practically no tension on a neck.  They are true rounds though and have plenty of that piano-like ring to them, especially with a pick.  I've been experimenting with other rounds, half-rounds, etc, but I keep coming back to the TI Jazz Rounds.  Nice strings IMHO. even if they are a bit pricey.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 06:38:22 AM »
Unlike Dave, I like TIs too, that is one Steve Barr legacy worth keeping. There is a real musicality to them, especially to the flats though the Jazz Rounds are nice too. Plus the acoustic core bronze set they have which is unbelievable. Their regular roundwounds (Powerbass and what have you), I don't find that singular compared to the other stuff.

Anybody like the Elexir Nanoweb strings here? I'm partial to them too. I like the feel, the look and the way they don't sound rash when new and not dull when old. A very balanced, musical tone too.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 06:53:31 AM »
another TI Jazz Flats fan here, and I also agree about the Acoustic Cores; great strings!  I had them on my cheapo abg but they're just too pricey to for such a crap instrument.  I bought some Adamas phosphor bronze strings for about half as much and they're a nice compromise.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »
For the money and the availability, I can't argue with Rotosound Jazz shorts. A nice clonky flat, and I have them on my EB2 now.  I tend to like med scale Rotos as it keeps the silk out of the nut. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »
No lows, no highs, must be TIs.  :P :P :P

Uwe's outbreak:   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Bose of bass strings, IMO.

But don't mind me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:04:37 AM by uwe »

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »
No lows, no highs, must be TIs.  :P :P :P

Uwe's outbreak:   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Bose of bass strings, IMO.

But don't mind me.

Yup that's my impression too especially after a few months.