Author Topic: Is woody playing an Epi?  (Read 3905 times)

barend

Re: Is woody playing an Epi?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 10:45:59 AM »
Does anyone has an idea what bassguitar(s) he is playing at the Live at Roseland ballroom album?

His bass sounds very good an upfront in the mix on this album (and most other albums too of course).

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 04:56:21 PM »
I read an interview with Warren about this recording.  Apparently they were very impressed with the bass sound on the record when they first started mixing, but when Allen would sing backup vocals the bass disappeared!  They realized that the line in and the bass amp mic both failed and the only bass they recorded was through Allen's vocal mic!

It sure sounds amazing.  I bought this disc the first time I saw the Mule back in 1997 and talked shop with him for a while.  I have him to blame for my Gibson addictions...

barend

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 04:56:55 AM »
great story! it is hard to imagine that you can get such a good and loud sound with only the vocal mic. His on stage sound must be really loud then. If they only used the vocal mic it is strange is that his vocals are not too loud on this album. Still wonder what basses he is playing on this album.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »
Here's the interview on the ex-gibsonbass.com: http://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/allenwoody3.php

barend

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 03:53:49 AM »
thanks for the link, great interview! also the rest of the interview.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 04:51:30 AM »
Thanks Hollowbody  :)
Digresion our specialty!