Author Topic: Mystery bass! Help me ID this thing!  (Read 4460 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Mystery bass! Help me ID this thing!
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:15:42 AM »
This came into the H.O.G. on trade, pretty cool early 60's no name bass. No one there knows just what it is. It kind of reminds me of something Harmony or Kay may have made but so far I can't find anything like it. It still has the music store sticker on the headstock but no brand. The pickup is dead :( The tail piece is a modified mandolin tailpiece..............weird. Any help in ID ing it and the value would be appreciated.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Mystery bass! Help me ID this thing!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
We have a winner, it's a Multivox
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »
The pickup is dead :(

I´ll be rewinding a pile of old pickups in January or February.

If you bought the bass and don´t already have a pickup-guy, throw it in and I´ll rewind it for free if you pay for shipping.

These early singlecoils are usually quite easy to rewind, as long as the bobbins are not made from paper.
Nice bass!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 08:41:42 AM »
Wow what a generous offer! I would like the bass it depends on what Bruce at the HOG wants for it.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »
Wow what a generous offer! I would like the bass it depends on what Bruce at the HOG wants for it.

Can´t be much. The pickup doesn´t even work, dammit :)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
NBD late 1950's Multivox
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »
 Ok so it's a late 50's USA Multivox. Bruce offered it to me for $250, for once I thought I'd be sensible and pass so I left the bass at the store and to the fates. Then I discovered I had the $ in my paypal account and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a 1950's USA made electric bass. I am goint to give the electronics a going over to make sure the pickup is or isn't dead.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:39:37 AM by godofthunder »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Flats for this baby? Ideas?
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 07:03:47 AM »
 Anyone know who makes a set of long flats with no windings? I need something for my '58-'59 Multivox. There is no truss rod on this bass and along with the dinky tuners it just can't take rounds. A .100 or so E string would be nice. From the tail piece to the nut it is 36 1/2". Thanks in advance!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »
You mean without silks? I don't know. Is this 30" scale? You might check with LaBella about their Beatle Bass flats set. It's long enough for the Hofner with tailpiece, and the diameter at the silks is small enough for Hofner tuners. The only thing is, the overall length isn't as long as usual so you don't have a lot of windings around the small tuner posts. So if you call them to ask about it, be sure to ask the overall length as well as the winding length. I once bought a set for my Coronado and found that they were perfect for the tailpiece to nut distance but weren't long enough to reach the G string post on a 4 inline headstock.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
Yeah I mean the silk wrap. Its long scale, with regular long scale strings the silk wrap goes over the nut past the first fret.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
The Labella Hofner set is 32" scale to allow for the trapeze tailpiece.  Don't forget you can always trim the silks off the string at the nut if needed.

Juststrings.com lists the gauges of all their bass strings, so they make it easy to find options. The Labella Beatle Bass flats are .050-.100 http://www.juststrings.com/lab-760fhbb.html.

These Deep Talkin' Flat extra lights are .039-.096:  http://www.juststrings.com/lab-760fx.html. (These are 34" scale but they probably have them in other lengths.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 04:30:28 PM »
Their is such a thing as extra long scale also. I need a set for my string thru  51 Fender P RI.
Rick

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
What's with the finger joint at the neck attachment tongue?  Is there evindence of a break/damage on the backside of it?

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
I use the extra long scale dadarrio ground rounds on my upright...no silk

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 07:37:40 PM »
What's with the finger joint at the neck attachment tongue?  Is there evindence of a break/damage on the backside of it?
The body has a 1/8" cap on the front and back I presume the core is all finger jointed bits and pieces. I was surprised to see that as well.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
The Labella Hofner set is 32" scale to allow for the trapeze tailpiece.  Don't forget you can always trim the silks off the string at the nut if needed.

Juststrings.com lists the gauges of all their bass strings, so they make it easy to find options. The Labella Beatle Bass flats are .050-.100 http://www.juststrings.com/lab-760fhbb.html.

These Deep Talkin' Flat extra lights are .039-.096:  http://www.juststrings.com/lab-760fx.html. (These are 34" scale but they probably have them in other lengths.)
Those Deep Talk'n extra light flats sound like the ticket! I am going to order a set tomorrow. Thanks !