Author Topic: Danelectro Longhorn wiring  (Read 8622 times)

Bernardduur

• View Profile
Danelectro Longhorn wiring
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:58:41 AM »
Hey all!

I am looking for the correct way a Danelectro Longhorn bass was wired up from the factory. As I understand it was wired as a humbucker (both coils in series) when both were on......

Right now I tried several things but I can't cope or find anything on this....... anyone here has an idea?
Full one pelvic bass shaggin'

Technophobia; pedals and more

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Danelectro Longhorn wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:15:03 AM »
I have this big Danelectro book. Dunno if it has any wiring diagrams but I'll dive into it.

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:17:38 AM »
Tnx!

I think I finally figured it out from staring at some gut shots! It works like a charm....... been tinkering over it for a couple of days.

By bernardduur at 2010-12-30

Any comment on it?

It works like it should. When both volumes are max the unit is in series. When one of the volumes are dimed the coils turn single :). Tone works for seperate coils. Volume is 100k, tone is 1M. Caps are 100n

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
I have never owned one so I can't comment on that, but it does confirm to me that it's not a pure series circuit.

Every time someone says they have a Dano with two pickups in series but the volumes are separately controlled, I tell them that can't be a straight series circuit. Now this makes sense.

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
I have never owned one so I can't comment on that, but it does confirm to me that it's not a pure series circuit.

Every time someone says they have a Dano with two pickups in series but the volumes are separately controlled, I tell them that can't be a straight series circuit. Now this makes sense.

+1! It is not a 100% pure series set but it works kinda like it. And the sound you get from it is awesome :D

One of the nice things you can do with this circuit is turn down the tone on the bridge pickup and make the signal slightly bassy but not that much....... A really nice touch! And very workable!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:51:17 AM »
Though inexpensive instruments, they did put some thought into the circuit.

I recall reading that Nat Daniel was originally a radio man who designed amps. He knew what he wanted this circuit to do.

Chaser001

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:13:52 AM »
I've been curious about the new Dano Longhorn and how it might compare to the original ones and the ones made in the 90s.  I have a neck injury and have been thinking about getting one just because they are so light.  I did play one briefly for the first time at a music store in the Netherlands over the summer and have been thinking about them ever since.  I was in too much of a hurry to really examine it thoroughly.  I read some reviews about the new Longhorn at MusiciansFriend, but those reviews left me more confused than enlightened. 

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »
I've been curious about the new Dano Longhorn and how it might compare to the original ones and the ones made in the 90s.  I have a neck injury and have been thinking about getting one just because they are so light.  I did play one briefly for the first time at a music store in the Netherlands over the summer and have been thinking about them ever since.  I was in too much of a hurry to really examine it thoroughly.  I read some reviews about the new Longhorn at MusiciansFriend, but those reviews left me more confused than enlightened. 

Can't really say how they compare to the older ones as I only have a (really) old one but I must say that they are super ligth and sound absolutely marvelous!

Chaser001

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:42:11 AM »
Can't really say how they compare to the older ones as I only have a (really) old one but I must say that they are super ligth and sound absolutely marvelous!

I have a feeling I'll probably get one within the year. 

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »
I think my Jerry Jones Longhorn is set up the same way. Lots of flexibility with that setup!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:29:05 AM »
 have 2 90's longhorns and they are  pretty good.  I personally like the other dano models better and IMHO they sound better.  I have only played a jerry jones once but i thought it was  a better constructed instrument but the price point is also better for him...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »
have 2 90's longhorns and they are  pretty good.  I personally like the other dano models better and IMHO they sound better.  I have only played a jerry jones once but i thought it was  a better constructed instrument but the price point is also better for him...

The '90s Danos were all Korean-built, correct? The Jerry Jones is really nicely built and probably is a lot stronger since it's not 40 years old like the original Longhorns. Still, the name "Danelectro" is one of the all time coolest for any instrument builder.

I recall reading that Nat Daniel was originally a radio man who designed amps. He knew what he wanted this circuit to do.

I read that as well, Dave. He apparently was in the army when he was on a team which developed radio shielding for ignition systems for army vehicles. If that's the case, then one of the motorcycles I'm working on should have that system he and his team desgined.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
He apparently was in the army when he was on a team which developed radio shielding for ignition systems for army vehicles.

carbon sparkplug cables: metal conductors produce RF

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »
The '90s Danos were all Korean-built, correct?

YES...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Nathan I. Daniel background, by his son.