Author Topic: Ed Roman guitars and basses  (Read 3490 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Ed Roman guitars and basses
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
You can spend a LONG time on this website.

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/basses.htm
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Ed Roman guitars and basses
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
Yes, it would be nice if he had a good reputation...which I have heard he does not.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »
he was quite the punching bag at the old pit.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
I'll admit that what I've heard is all second hand, but it was enough to make me cautious.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:16:21 PM »
Ed's photo ought to be in the thesaurus under "full of sh*t as a Christmas goose."

My one attempt to buy a bass from him years ago convinced me that he's a bait and switch artist. And that was before I had read the horror stories about people who contracted with him to mod their guitars and had them ruined. 

I haven't looked at his site in a few years and I won't now.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:14:18 AM »
Oh, c'mon now! It takes a lot of work to reshape those Chinese and Korean eBay bodies and Carvin necks into looking like bad knockoffs of decent basses.  ;D ... and under his 'Fender' section he calls the Performer "the best bass Fender ever made!" For those of you who have had the fortune of never encountering one, the Performer could best be described as the anti-Gibson, thin sounding and pointier than a Poison video full of BC Rich's.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:55:27 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 02:07:10 AM »
I don't know him personally. He may be a total *sshole, or maybe not. I don't really care.
The pictures of his instruments are fun to look at.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:13:19 AM »
he was quite the punching bag at the old pit.

I called him up for some info on something a few years back and we had a nice long conversation about vintage and reissue instruments. He seemed like a really nice guy but I've never done business with him.
I definately agree about him being a punching bag though, and not just at the old pit. I've never heard a kind word about him anywhere :o
Rick

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »
I have spent a lot of time on his website, been to his two of his shops a bunch of times met his wife (she is really nice) and chatted with Mr. Roman a number of times and even bought a guitar from him once.

He is brash,opinionated, curt and even insensitive, especially if you like anything with Gibson on it.

Having said that I like him and he has some really good ideas about building a guitar, I have stolen many of them for my own projects.

Have y'all seen Zachary Guitars, I love Alex's stuff, here is his take on a Firebird.

http://http://www.zacharyguitars.com/230407pics.htm

He is another guy that most people love to hate... he is just out there enough for me.
Bring on the Nubiles

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
Only 32 gold titanium frets?  How dare he call the Caeser Bass fit for a king?  A Kaiser maybe. ;D  Vegas, Baby!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 09:33:54 AM »

That's what I think!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:57:13 AM »
Anybody know what that big all-white hollowbody is?  Seen here:

T-bird headstock, Trini Lopez style f-holes...  ???

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »
Anybody know what that big all-white hollowbody is? 
I'm guessing he copied Dusty Hill's Bolin bass.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
I'm guessing he copied Dusty Hill's Bolin bass.

Right on!  Thanks Ilan.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
Oh, c'mon now! It takes a lot of work to reshape those Chinese and Korean eBay bodies and Carvin necks into looking like bad knockoffs of decent basses.  ;D ...

:mrgreen:

I don't know him personally. He may be a total *sshole, or maybe not. I don't really care.

I don't know him personally either. But if you find a picture of an instrument with what seems like a reasonable price, you'll be told they don't have it any more.

His opinions don't bother me. OTOH I have read a number of testimonials from people who sent guitars to him to do one of his various recommended mods and wound up with ruined instruments. Once or twice, you figure it might just be disgruntled customers. More than that, you realize there's a real problem.

I remember a guy at the Rick Resource Forum who had read Ed's rants about the "huge" neck and heel on the Rick 650. So he sent his 650 in for Ed's "craftsmen" to work their magic. They shaved off too much, the neck bent like a banana and Ed refused to take responsibility for it. What astonished me even more was that the customer then wanted RIC to do something about it!

Have y'all seen Zachary Guitars, I love Alex's stuff, here is his take on a Firebird....

He is another guy that most people love to hate... he is just out there enough for me.

Anybody who flaunts his ignorance the way he does ought to be pitied, not hated. Then there's the pathetically bad workmanship. If the pics on his website are his good work, I'd hate to see his rejects.