Author Topic: I spent the night with a Hag  (Read 12331 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: I spent the night with a Hag
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »
Okay, thanks. that'll help already!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: I spent the night with a Hag
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 01:01:35 AM »
One of the guitarists I jam with brought in this old Hagstrom bass that he has owned since childhood.  It looks exactly like this one:

He's had it since around 1970, and never really played it much.  I don't know much about Hagstrom, but I suspect the bass is from around 1966, give or take.  It think the model is HIIB.

The strings were about an inch off the board when I took it out of the case, so I gave it a quick setup for him (best I could with the dead flats - also from around '70!).  I got it playing nice, and boy is that a fun little bass!  It had some of that deep fundamental that I like in my EB-0, but also a nice bit of tic-tac-like presence.  It was hard to get a good gauge on the tone, since the strings were so shot, but I liked what I heard of it.  Has a lot of switches on it, but always seemed to emit the same tone no matter what settings were employed.

I had a blast playing it!  I would not mind getting one of these at some point.  I saw that there were several styles of this bass throughout its evolution.  Does anyone have any experiences or preferences with the different variations?
hey there is a beater project one of these on ebay,listed as "vintage fretless bass guitar project fender style 80's" it has no pups and the frets have been ripped out but without the hagstrom name it'll be a cheap fixer upper.its not mine just thought someone would be into it.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES