Author Topic: need help with 115  (Read 1283 times)

poomwah

• View Profile
need help with 115
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:08:12 PM »
I have an avatar 115.  cabinet looks brand new.  its loaded with a first generation eminence deltalite.  At low volume it sounds very clean, a little lacking on the low end unless you crank the bass all the way up on the amp.  Anything above 1.5 to 2 on the amp and you have to play VERY gently or you'll distort the horn and the speaker.  I have an old carvin 210 with speakers that are LITERALLY coated with elmers glue hold the cones together.  with the same bass, and the same amp with everything set the same except for the volume, I can get considerably louder with the glued speakers than I can with the avatar without distortion.  I can't even turn the avatar up loud enough to play along with the stereo without it distorting.
 i just traded a carvin 810 that had MAYBE 2 hours of use for these avatars... the guy seemed really decent. I'd like to think he didnt rip me off.  Is there anything it could be other than a bad speaker?   

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: need help with 115
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:51:50 AM »
Does sound like the driver is blown.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:13:53 AM »
Does sound like the driver is blown.

+1 That's what it sounds like to me.
I have a 2 12" w/tweeter Avatar and I really like it, although I had a damaged speaker when I first bought it too. It had a frequency issue, B notes played anywhere on the neck rattled like crazy. The guys at Avatar took care of me with no hassle 8)
Avatar uses woodscrews to mount the speakers, which is a pretty lame way to do things. If you're going to be in there swapping out a speaker, I would highly recommend opening up the mounting holes and putting in some T-Bolt anchors.  It's not that much trouble and it's really worth it. It will give you a rock solid , rattle free cabinet .
Their stuff is very well designed and delivers great sound , but those wood screws are one of those little things to keep the cost down that I just plain don't like. The tweeter is  nice, but it is wise to keep the volume on it it away from the  wide open  position or you will likely blow it too. That is not strictly an Avatar issue , I would be cautious with any tweeter cab.
Good luck
Rick

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:54 PM »
thanks guys, I was thinking the same thing.  I just got the cabinet yesterday from a forum member.  He has agreed to buy me a replacement speaker for it, but with the price of them, I wanted to make sure there was nothing else it could be before he spends the money.