Author Topic: The Crazy World of Classic Effects  (Read 2036 times)

chromium

• View Profile
The Crazy World of Classic Effects
« on: October 17, 2008, 10:54:58 AM »
When I play bass in my band, my setup looks like this:  Bass -> Orange head -> SVT cabs.  I just feel like it brings out the good traits of whatever bass I plug into it, and that makes me happy :)  I've played a lot of styles of music in bands over the years, and the barebones rig always seems to be a constant for me.

When I goof around with home recording, though, that's a whole n'other story!  I'm always on the prowl for interesting stuff to experiment with there - and I just wanted to take a moment to share some thoughts, observations, and just say WOW.

People really get spun up with this stuff!  I've bought and sold basses, amps, cabs, guitars, old (extremely complex and volatile) keyboards/synthesizers.... and recently a vintage effect (a Rams Head Big Muff).  That was by far the most challenging auction/sale I have ever experienced in my life.  Even with pictures of the guts, there were questions about component values and other minutae that I would *never* have expected anyone to be interested in.  But I can fully appreciate and relate to gear fanaticism :)  so it's all good.

Then there's the prices!  Here's a few fun ones from my watch list:

EMS Synthi Hi-Fli - This could be viewed as a predecessor to the EHX Micro Synth, which was designed by the same guy.  This one sold for just under $8000.  WTF!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380068229012&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

The Ludwig Phase II - yer basic fuzz/filter/tremolo type of affair, with a pedal for real time control.  This one was a real steal at ~$2000 - usually they go over 3K  :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250300166534&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

A Maestro USS-1 - kind of a "greatest hits" of Maestro effects lumped into a box and called a "synthesizer".  A few of these pop up a year and typically go in the $1500 range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320311209121&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

I've loved my good old analog gear my entire life.  Much like my simple bass rig, it just pleases my ears.  And just like the basses I tend to go to - it sort of takes on its own persona, has idiosyncracies and imperfections that make it entertaining to work with, and its easy to use.  One knob = one parameter.  None of this toiling over a 1" LCD display, or dragging-and-dropping virtual patch cords on your computer screen.  If I had a time machine, I would go back to 1987 when everyone was dumping this stuff to make way for "technological advancement", and I'd load up!!

So what are your thoughts?  What's on your effect wish-lists?  Should I just shut up and get a Pod XT?   ;D 

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: The Crazy World of Classic Effects
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
I missed this thread when it first got posted!

I agree whole-heartedly, and yet recently I've been using the plug-ins in my ProTools rig more often. It helps that I got a new computer with much faster processing power, and that my music room has become so cluttered that space to put anything down is almost non-existent! I think my approach is similar to yours, in that I like using a bunch of different effects and gear while recording, but if I were to do it live I would try and strip things down.

chromium

• View Profile
Re: The Crazy World of Classic Effects
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:24:59 PM »
Some of the software plug-ins are invaluable to me!  I use the BBE Sonic Maximizer quite a bit, Sonalksis FreeG RMS meter, and I love ePhonic's Retrodelay. 
You've probably already seen it, but there is a helpful site with searchable plug-in database and member reviews/ratings for various products here:  http://www.kvraudio.com/  That site has helped me sift thru the glut of software on several occasions.

I've found that I like to use the funky "hardware" effects when recording, manipulating the effect in real time as I bounce tracks that I've already laid down thru it.  The virtual effects can do that too, and with track automation I can sorta play-and-record the effect parameter changes - but sometimes I miss that quirkiness and real-time control that some old box might lend.  That's the main reason I wish I could afford to get my paws on more of these good ol' stomp boxes to experiment with.

A while back, I bought a modernized implementation of the Moog/Bode Frequency Shifter effect (creates ), and since it required a 5U cabinet and power supply to operate it - I decided to build a little oak studio cabinet for it!  Of course, I left some additional vacant space in there...   ;D

Since I've already gone that far, I decided that rather than try to scrounge around on CL or fight for stuff on Ebay, it might make better sense for me to just build a few of the effects that I'm after as additional modules in this "signal processing" cabinet.  I now have the schematics and parts for the ones I want... just need some time!  That'll be my 2009 project - at least that's the plan.   :)