Author Topic: calling all Mustang Bass owners! what scale strings?  (Read 4757 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
calling all Mustang Bass owners! what scale strings?
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:38:03 PM »
Hi everyone - over at this interesting forum called OffsetGuitars.com*, I've been trying to help the new owner of a vintage Mustang Bass regarding strings. I had one of the reissues, and because the bridge is string-through-body, LaBella medium scale strings worked really well. But would short scale strings work as well? If you have any experience with this, please respond here or at the original thread over there if you want. Thanks in advance!

*This forum appears to have been born out of frustration with the FDP.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: calling all Mustang Bass owners! what scale strings?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »
Harry, I'm registered at enough places now, but it all depends on the winding length of the particular brand. He can figure the minimum winding length he needs by marking an existing string at the nut, removing it and measuring from the ball end to the mark. Then he'll need to check with the manufacturer. Unless something has changed recently, D'addario's shortscales have 32" wound length, 32 1/2" for GHS. Other brands will differ. Fender's 5250XL shortscale nickel plated steel roundwound set is advertised as fitting a Mustang. IIRC, LaBella shortscales won't.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:39:25 PM »
Wow, excellent, thanks Dave! That makes a lot of sense - I've been using LaBellas pretty exclusively for my short scales, so it's good to hear about the other brands. I'll pass the information on.

Thanks again!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:46:12 AM »
Hi everyone - over at this interesting forum called OffsetGuitars.com*, I've been trying to help the new owner of a vintage Mustang Bass regarding strings. I had one of the reissues, and because the bridge is string-through-body, LaBella medium scale strings worked really well. But would short scale strings work as well? If you have any experience with this, please respond here or at the original thread over there if you want. Thanks in advance!

*This forum appears to have been born out of frustration with the FDP.

Two comments: 

(1) The info from Dave about winding length is really handy! I strongly suspect that medium length strings will be needed.  Even hollowbody short-scales often need 32' strings because of the difference in tailpieces.  If in doubt, I'd rather be a bit long than too short.

(2) Comment about FDP deleted - thanks for the nudge, Dave.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:46:13 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:27:03 PM »
Hey Pilgrim, glad you're here.

I understand your feelings but what happens at the FDP stays at the FDP, we're just not going to discuss problems or policies of other forums.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:57:42 AM »
Welcome Al, it's great to see you here!  There's no hassles here, so feel free, as Dave suggests, to leave the past behind and enjoy our little piece of the internet.  We have rules for sure, but we have a place for just about everybody and everything as well.    ;D
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:15:27 AM »
One other string-thru-body comment:

IIRC, Labella does not recommend any of their strings for use in string-through applications. Evidently their windings or core are not designed for the break angle over the bridge. I have read a number of posts that indicate some Labella fans do use their strings in string-through applications, but it's not recommended by the manufacturer.

Bummer, because Labella Deep Talkin' Flats are my favorites.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »
That's true, I called and asked about that a few years ago and spoke with Bob Archigian, who's been LaBella's sales manager for years. IIRC he said the DTB flats have a smaller core and more wrapping layers than other flats, and bending them at that kind of angle can break the wrappings and ruin the string. So they don't recommend it even though some people use them strung through body without breaking.

Lefty SSB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 02:53:24 AM »
Rotosound medium scale works well & D'addario mediums as well. (Little late here, but might help the next person...)
The Unicorn Tamer

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »
I use the Fender 5250XL short scale set on both my Mustangs.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023