Author Topic: Gibson Basses in the UK  (Read 8704 times)

patman

• View Profile
Re: Gibson Basses in the UK
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 05:34:58 PM »
Lonnie Mack's flying vee  is #003, purchased in a neighborhood music store in Cincinnati...many years ago.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
Since when was Jimi obsessed with being slightly out-of-tune?  :mrgreen: I think he probably played a Strat because the Fender scale was more convenient for his outsize hands - those were Stanley Clarke-type huge. There must have been a reason for him chosing Strats as he played right hand models left-handed which on a Strat is more inconvenient than on a, say, ES-335, SG or Flying V. 

And I do believe he played the Flying V because it was flashy. 99% of all Flying V players are attracted to the shape, me included. I currently have my Dean Razorback in the rehearsal room and you can just see my serious-minded, non-heavy-metal-background co-musicians wince when they see me with it (hesitantly: "Is that a real razor blade in there?")!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nothing says "serious-minded, not image-conscious, adult, no-frills musician" like this bass. Mark's overknee boots excepted of course.  ;)

I'm sure he liked the way the Flying V looked.  Really I should have more info on this.  I know I've read somewhere about his attitude toward his guitars.  I'm also pretty sure he played a custom made Flying V, but that was not long before he died.  I did find my copy of "Electric Gypsy."  That's considered one of the definitive Hendrix biographies.  But I didn't find the info about guitars very useful.  It was basically unrealistic gushing about how great Strats are supposed to be and I simply do not agree with that.  That's the author's opinion, not necessarily Jimi's. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »
  i  think this is the one he is playing in rainbow bridge.
Louder bass!.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 01:28:51 AM »
I was always impressed by the good taste of Wishbone Ash, and particulary by the photos of the band on Argus. 1 Strat, 1 V, 1 T-bird. Looks future! Great designs!!!
http://rarerecordcollector.cfhdesign.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/mdks8006-wishbone-ash-argus-gatefold.jpg

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 03:10:15 AM »
There is a new 2015 remaster of Argus by French label Culture Factory and it kicketh the proverbial butt. It has so much detail, it sometimes sounds like Steve Upton doing a demo for Paiste cymbals.  :mrgreen: Martin's breathing, it's all there.

Much as Martin Turner is identified with his beloved Donnervogel, there are actually more WA recordings (from his eras) without than with it! It's his stage bass because he likes its handling and looks, that's all. Argus is all Rickenbacker 4001, so much that when Martin rerecorded the classic album with his own version of WA a few years ago, he reverted to a loaned Ric because he couldn't get the sound he wanted out of the TBird. A lot of the later Laurie Wisefield and Ted Turner-reunion stuff was recorded with a Fender Precision.

Don't we all live and learn. And when WA continued without Martin, the ultimate insult added to injury was - according to Martin's biography -  Andy Powell's offer to buy Martin's TBird so the new guy could use it.

Flying Vs are popular in twin guitar bands (Wishbone Ash, Judas Priest, Scorpions, UFO, Accept) because they have a thinner sound and don't get in the way. They are kind of Gibson's Telecaster.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:18:11 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 06:26:14 AM »
There is a new 2015 remaster of Argus by French label Culture Factory and it kicketh the proverbial butt. It has so much detail, it sometimes sounds like Steve Upton doing a demo for Paiste cymbals.  :mrgreen: Martin's breathing, it's all there.

AmazonUk has the UK release date on 24/7. Hopefully remastered from the original tapes ? I love most of Martin Tuner's remix but the guitar separation on the end-solo on Throw Down The Sword sucks big time ..........
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »
I already have it, they shipped it two weeks ago, it's basically Martin's work of a few years back (pitch-corrected backing vocals and all, he was a little off on the original and it bugged him for decades), but with a high quality remaster showing a lot more detail. The Culture Factory remasters (they have also done much of BÖC's work and a couple of 70ies Status Quo albums which also benefitted greatly from the treatment) are of divisive nature to hifi purists (many consider their remasters "overcooked"), but I like them, they put the rrraunch back in rrrock'n'rrroll. I first came across them when they remastered the two New York Dolls albums (which sounded like I had never heard them before - a real sonic onslaught) and I have been a fan ever since.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »
Yeah, I know about the Ric on the rec. I'm talking about the pics, and the pics only. Really cool! Ric had the same problem with Macca, right?!? No shots, just the sound.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 07:09:41 AM »
it's basically Martin's work of a few years back.

Bugger ...... AFAIK it's the 1st CD release that has the original artwork, UFO an' all and I was hoping for a remaster of the original mix ......

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 04:02:13 AM »
What was wrong with Martin's remaster/subtle remix of 2007? To my ears it sounded even better than the 2002 remaster (which was already good). And this new Culture Factory remaster has Wishbone Ash standing in your living room and playing.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »
I was referring to the 2002 remix/remaster. I love the way it brings more sparkle to "the A-side" but I just can't get used to the 2 solo guitar parts being that high in the mix ( in comparison to the Original mix ) on Throw Down The Sword....... 

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
I've found some more info about the Gibsons that Hendrix played--

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Hendrix-Gibson-Guitars.aspx
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

JazzBassTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
I think Hendrix played mainly Strats because that thin, bright tone best suited his frilly R&B inflected, Curtis Mayfield inspired rhythm guitar style. That type of playing tends to get lost in the sauce on a Gibson...their thicker tone has other uses, of course.

Notice that Jimi often used a Gibson (first the painted V, then an SG Custom, then the custom ordered lefty V, as well as the '56-ish Les Paul Custom he played only a few times ca. 1968) for live performances of Red House. Notable exception: at the Isle Of Wight he used the custom Flying V on quite a few numbers, alternating between that and the black Strat...guess he really liked that guitar!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »
Maybe it's because I used to have a Tele, but I've always felt they were underrated and Strats were overrated.  In fact, Hendrix is playing Noel Redding's Telecaster on "Purple Haze" & "Hey Joe."  Also, the Strat he played at Woodstock had a Tele neck.  I didn't plan to go off on such a tangent since this is supposed to be about Gibson basses in the UK. 

--Blaise Pascal

JazzBassTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 09:05:38 PM »
Yeah, I know, but the Internet was made for going off on tangents!

Well, Teles do what they do, which is considerable, especially considering that they are arguably the first production solidbody electric Spanish guitar, but a Stratocaster is more versatile. (As well as more comfortable/ergonomic for most players). The very reason that there may be some backlash against Strats is that they've been such a success.