Author Topic: Waterstone V8 Thunderbird  (Read 11449 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Waterstone V8 Thunderbird
« on: July 13, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »
 Just arrived! For the dough I like it ! I don't think these are in production just a short run for NAMM. Way better QC than the MOD Bird. a full report coming later.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: Waterstone V8 Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
Welcome to the 8 string Thunderbird Club!!!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »
Well it ain't a  Baz bird but I'll make do!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
Oh stop!! I'm sure it will do the job Nicely!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
Starting to have a bit of buyers remorse....................truss rod stuck in either direction. E and G string not as loud as A and D, pickups don't cover the span of the strings.  The string trees don't hold the strings down they keep popping off. Upon taking it apart it looks to have been built by a 8th grader with a  coping saw. Sigh............................... I expected better.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »
Man that's too bad. I was hoping for a better report. Not super shocked about the pickups not covering the string span. The pictures make it look like the strings barely make it to the edge of the pickup. What about changing the pickups, or does the build quality ruin the entire experience for you?
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 09:06:52 AM »
That sucks, Scott.  Took me a while to get into eights and 12ers but they are a lot of fun when set up properly and with the right pickups.   For me the 4 saddle bridge was a red flag.  That's easily changed but a bad trussrod?  Send it back!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
 Well I got the bass apart......................... the truss rod was completely maxed out I was able to back it out but I had to put a fair amount of force on it. Action it still to high the nut needs filing and I am going to shim the neck. Another thing that bugs me is the string tree for the D string doesn't seem to be big enough to hold done the D string, it keeps popping out when I tune. Another construction detail that really bugs me is there is a big 3/8" hole  with ratty split out under the neck plate in the neck pocket, why the F would you put a hole there? I know it was for finishing but there are better ways to go about it. I could make this work I just don't know if I feel like putting that much into it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »
Brass nut?  They're typically too high on 8ers and I had to add thicker shims to both my Robelli and Dean to get the action low enough.  I have some spare Schaller 471-8 bridges if you get that far.  The Seymour Duncans that were in your JAEbird might make decent replacement pups.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »
Cheapo plastic nut. I may stick a model G in the neck position, that or a Thunderbucker.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
Really bummed that this didn't work out right out of the box. It certainly helps with my Waterstone 8-string GAS though!

I guess that's why they posted this on facebook just now?

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »
Too bad it's turned into a mess. If you don't mind my asking, how much are those basses?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 05:20:52 AM »
 They sent me the V8 for the damaged Mod bird. The Mod bird was $589 I think the V8 goes for $789
Too bad it's turned into a mess. If you don't mind my asking, how much are those basses?

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 06:13:03 AM »
Hmm, if it didn't have issues that would be a great price. Are you going to send it back after all or try to make something of it?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 07:18:07 AM »
 I'm on the fence.......................... I do have a Model G lying around, it would cure the quiet string problem. While not perfect the intonation isn't that bad i am thinking of changing out the bridge. A lot going on right now this basses problems are the least of my concerns at the moment.